10 Things Rugby Taught Me About Life

10 Things Rugby Taught Me About Life

What do the most grueling sport on earth and life have in common? Here's a list to explain just a few of the things.

1583
10 Things Rugby Taught Me About Life
Super XV

Some people might say, "What does rugby have to do with life? It's just a game." I'm here to tell you that this statement is wrong. Rugby is more than just a game, it is a metaphor for life. A very intense, painful, exhilarating, and rewarding metaphor. Here are just a few life lessons that rugby has taught me---

1. Not everyone will understand you and that’s okay.

Rugby is a phenomenal sport, but it is also a sport that not many people understand. A lot of people say, “It’s basically football…” but I promise you it is nothing like football. Other people will tell you that you’re crazy to be playing such a dangerous sport. It’s okay that not everyone understands. As long as you know what you want and are willing to give it your all, other people's opinions don't matter.

2. It’s not about how hard you get hit, it’s about what you learn from that hit.

Getting tackled and getting hit hurts. Those of us who play have all been there. You are making a run with the ball and then all of a sudden, someone twice your size runs up to you and brings you down. Everyone who plays has and will get knocked down time and time again. That’s okay, that’s life, and that’s rugby. It’s what you take from this hit that matters. What can you do differently next time to assure that they don’t hit you again? Change your speed? Change your direction? There is always room to improve and in times of failure, that’s when you can learn the most.

3. Life, as well as rugby, will break your heart, but you can’t give up on it.

You’re about to score the wining points for your team. You are five feet away and then out of nowhere—BOOM. You get tackled. You can see the try-zone. You are so close, but close isn’t good enough. Close doesn’t win games or make champions. The other team gets the ball, runs it out of bounds and wins the game. Your heart is broken. You have worked all season to win that game, to score those points, and yet you couldn’t. Oh well. Get over it. If you love something, you don’t give up on it. You fight for it. Wake up tomorrow and run an extra sprint. So that next time, that player won’t catch you. Next time, you’ll win the game. In life and in rugby, there will always be a next time. Don’t give up.

4. You can’t get anywhere without help from others.

Rugby is a team sport. You have 15 people working together to win. No one person can score every time they get the ball, make every tackle, or kick every kick. No one person can win a game. You have to lean on and work with others. This means sometimes you pass the ball to your open teammate instead of attempting to run past your defender and score. This means taking a hard hit so that you can quickly dish the ball off to your teammate who can make a run. This means getting in every ruck, maul, and scrum that you can (even when you are out of breath, bleeding, and want to take a rest). You have to be willing to give your everything to your team, so that they can give their everything to you.

5. It won’t be easy, but it’ll be worth it.

Nothing good in life comes easy. It’s a cliché for a reason — It’s true. You won’t want to go to every practice. You won’t want to tackle the player twice your size, knowing that you might get hurt. You will want to ask your coach for a substitution when your knees are bleeding and you can’t catch your breath. If you take the easy way out, if you don’t try your hardest, and give it your everything, you will not succeed. Sure you might win some games or score a few points, but is that really what rugby or what life is about? No. It’s about bettering yourself and being able to proudly say that win or lose, you gave it your all.

6. The pain of preparation is less than the pain of regret.

Practice will sometimes stink. Running will sometimes exhaust you. Tackling 100 times a day will sometimes hurt. I promise you this, nothing will stink more, nothing will exhaust you more, and nothing will hurt more than knowing you could have succeeded but you didn’t. And why didn’t you? Were you too tired last week to go to practice? Were you too sore to run those extra miles the other day? Were you not willing to prepare your body for tackles because you thought you already knew how to tackle well enough? If you do not prepare, you will lose. If you lose, you will regret it. Forever thinking, would I have won if I had just prepared a little more?

7. You are stronger than you think.

Both mentally and physically, you will be pushed further and harder than you ever thought imaginable. If you do not want to give up at least twice a game, you aren’t pushing yourself hard enough. But you don’t give up and that’s because you know you are strong. You push your mind and your body to go further than you ever thought imaginable. There will be times when you are so close to what you want, so close to scoring, but there is someone in your way and you don’t have any strength left. You are running as fast as you can, but it won’t be enough. They are coming for you and they are coming fast. So what do you do? You lower your shoulder and you run as hard, fast, and strong as you can. You make that person move out of your way because nothing and no one can stop you unless you let it.

8. Be humble.

There will be times where you win. There will be times where you had the best game or the best day. There will be times when you feel on top of the world. Don’t let anything go to your head. No win, try, or great tackle is worth it. Why? Because there will be times where you don’t win, when you have the worst game, and the worst day ever. It’s okay to be happy and acknowledge that your hard work is paying off, but know that it will not always be like that.

9. Nobody is good at everything, but everybody is good at something.

Rugby, just like life, has a position for everyone. What might not be right for someone else could be perfect for you. You’re strong? Be a prop. You’re fast? Be a wing. You’re a good passer? Be a back. You’re a powerful tackler? Be a forward. Instead of trying to be good at something that you aren’t, find what you are good at and work towards becoming great.

10. Nothing is more important than family.

We are all human beings. We will all make mistakes and we will all get annoyed by those around us. Rugby has taught me that no matter who dropped the ball, who missed a tackle, or who annoyed you the other day at practice — it doesn’t matter. In the grand scheme of life, nothing matters more than family. I mean your biological family, but also your rugby family. These men and women that you have literally shed blood, sweat, and tears with are indeed your family. They have had your back on and off the field. Who can you count on to protect you and ruck over you? Your family. Who can you count on to pat you on the back and tell you it’s okay when you mess up? Your family. At the end of the day, who will be there when the final whistle blows and your rugby career eventually ends? Your family. 15 players, 1 team. 15 as 1.

Rugby is a lot like life. There will be times where it’s fun and exciting. There will be times where it’s grueling and painful. At the end of the day the most important thing rugby has taught me is that you determine your own fate. Your hard work will pay off and your lack of hard work will show. So give it your all, on and off the pitch.