New Year, Not New You | The Odyssey Online

New Year, Not New You

Make resolutions, but let's try to actually keep them.

5
New Year, Not New You

It is especially hard for people to change. And usually only when they have to change, do people actually make the changes they need to. But I don't know if people actually change, I think we just become a little bit more of who we are. I mean, that's what life is for right? This journey to find our selves and who we are.

However, despite this, we still have all of these new years resolutions that we make and break throughout the year. Want to keep your resolutions? Well here area few of the most common resolutions, and some tips to keep them.

1. Exercise

Most people are pretty good about this for the first few months of the year, and then they usually end up stopping at some point or another. Recently, there was an article that came out that said that lower priced memberships train people to not work out as much. Why? Because they don't think the price is a huge factor if they happen to skip a day...or a week. So if you can, opt for the high priced gym. Also, get yourself an accountability partner, and you have to be the annoying person to each other that say, "We need to do this before we do anything else."

2. Eat Healthier

I put this separate because it is completely different from exercise. You have to put a lot more discipline into this if you are one of those people who is on a "see food" diet, like myself. This means finding healthier alternatives than what you normally eat. This means not having a "treat yo self" day. And one way to make this easiest is simple meal preps. They have low budget ones you can find on pinterest. Make sure you keep up with this for at least 21 days, WITHOUT cheat days. This way eating healthy becomes a habit. Throw out the junk in your kitchen.

3. Spend more time with family.

Most people want to do more of this, and simply can't. However, if you go to your family, and tell them there is going to be one set day a week that you guys do something, even just a phone call, you can bet your family will remind you of that. Make sure you keep up with this each week, and eventually it will become second nature. Like those Friday night dinners on Gilmore Girls.

4. Drink more water.

I am one who finds this extremely difficult to do, but water is essential and most of us do not drink enough of it. I suggest buying a water filter whether it goes on your tap, or is portable. It makes it easier and cheaper to keep drinking water. Make sure you always carry a water bottle. If you are going out to dinner order a water with whatever else you get. If the lack of taste bothers you, go out and get something like MiO. You could even just add some lemon and mint to it.

5. Get Organized

This is one of those things where you need to sacrifice your weekend at least once every other month. At the beginning of a semester, sit down and put everything from your syllabus into a planner AND set reminders in your smart phone calendar. If it takes you extra time, plan out your study times in advance. They may change due to work or extracurricular schedules, but planning it out in advance will make it easier. Pick a day of the week (usually Sunday) and prepare yourself for everything you are going to be doing that week.

This is only a small amount of resolutions that most people make, and ones that are most commonly broken. There are many more out there, and if there are any in particular you want tips on, maybe I can give you a part two.