Reminders For My Best Friend Who Is Moving: 'One Tree Hill' Edition | The Odyssey Online

Reminders For My Best Friend Who Is Moving: 'One Tree Hill' Edition

Because every P. Sawyer needs her B. Davis.

26
Reminders For My Best Friend Who Is Moving:  'One Tree Hill'  Edition
http://images2.fanpop.com/images/photos/2800000/OTH-3-one-tree-hill-2832479-1280-960.jpg

To my real life Brooke Davis,

The seconds are ticking by faster than the speed of light. In just a few short days, you are going to wave goodbye to your hometown where you've spent most of your life so far. Your house has served as a Polaroid camera to capture all of your emotions over the years, such as the aggravation you felt the day you got braces, the joy you experienced after you got them off, your pre-pubescent angst through your awkward stage (sorry, but we all had one!), the nervousness you felt before your first date, the excitement and glamour you experienced when attending prom at two different schools, the bittersweet emotions you felt the day you left for college, and much more. Unfortunately, your house has fulfilled its purpose, and it's time for you to give your "Polaroid" to a new deserving family who will cherish it as much as you have.

While you've experienced all of those above emotions (and then some) at one point or another over the past decade, they may all suddenly swarm you like sharks over the next few days until you feel as if you cannot raise a finger without being attacked. One minute you will be excited for your new journey, while the next you will be scared to leave nearly everything and everyone you know behind.

However, among your overwhelming anxiety, you also will find your courage. It may take a while, but once this is discovered, you will be able to punch those emotions square in the face and head toward the shore. It's smooth sailing from there.

It may not have hit you yet, but on that long drive to your new house, you may begin to feel nostalgic. You'll remember all of the holidays you spent in your living room, all of the sleepovers you hosted, and all of the moments you spent laying on the carpet petting your dog. You can name at least five parts of the house you personally damaged. You'll think of your favorite hiding places as a child. You'll try to recall every last detail of your house — from the colors of the walls, to the smell of each room, and the texture of the floor. You will begin to miss it. You will fear that you did not spend enough time in your favorite places. You will panic when you start to forget some of the details of your own bedroom — the room you inhabited for a majority of your life.

However, every forgotten detail is replaced by a pleasant memory, and every memory that pops into your mind proves you spent your time at your house correctly. Instead of sitting around memorizing the ornate details of each room, you truly lived your life to the fullest and enjoyed every second of your time in your comforting surroundings. I am confident you will encounter more hope and opportunities in your new home. You will make your own, alternative path that branches off your old trail.

I want you to know that when you finally settle into your new town, there will be days you feel unbearably lonely and stressed. However, when the world knocks you off your feet or you feel like your shoulders are going to collapse from all the weight you've been bearing, give me a call. We may be separated by a few states, but I will drop everything to lighten your load.

I will be your person. Day or night, if you need me, I will be there for you in a heartbeat. The second the world feels too big for you to handle, I will hop on the next flight to your city and wrap you in my arms.

You are one of the strongest people I have met. Even when you are upset, you walk around with a smile on your face and put others' discomfort before your own suffering. I want you to know it is OK to break down sometimes, and everything you are feeling is completely normal.

When you feel like you are being pounded into the ground like dirt, I will be there for you to help you find reasons to smile. All I want for you is to be happy, healthy and successful. I will make it my duty to help you in any way I can.

You are going to change lives in your new town, and I will be proudly watching from back home. I cannot wait to see the result of your transformation from adolescence to adulthood — huge opportunities are calling your name. Take a few chances — you never know what might happen!

You are stronger than you realize, and your new town is lucky to have someone like you to grace it with your presence. It may not be easy, but there is always a way to fix every problem. Never lose track of what is important to you or the person you have always dreamed of becoming. Do not settle for less than you deserve.

I'm not going to lie, saying goodbye is a skilled art that I lack. It has never come easily to me, but it's not a goodbye, just a see you later, right? We have shared so many unforgettable memories together, and I will cherish them until the day I die. I look forward to visiting you and creating more memories, and my door will always be open when you decide to stop by your old hometown to breathe in the fresh air from your childhood.

I love you, and I will miss you more than you know, but we will be reunited because our books do not end here — this is just the beginning of a new chapter for both of us.

Best of luck on your new adventure!

Love,

Your real life Peyton Sawyer