A Reminder To Reconsider | The Odyssey Online

A Reminder To Reconsider

Take a new look at your life.

20
A Reminder To Reconsider

You know, I really kind of hate all of those super girly articles about “life is short,” “just go for it,” and “life your life to the fullest,” but hey, here I am.

I don’t want to just write about clichés that you’ll forget about the second you click off this webpage. I just want to remind you to reevaluate how you perceive life once in a while.

Yes, every so often you probably have one of those moments that make you take a good hard look at your life and realize that you haven’t been doing all you can. Maybe someone close to you died, or you lost an opportunity you thought you’d always have, or you simply just look up from your phone and realize that you’ve been missing a beautiful view.

But those moments really don’t happen enough. We should be shocked into giving every moment our all as often as possible; into pursuing crushes, pursuing friendships with strangers, voicing all compliments, and chasing desired conversations. Stop thinking “Why didn’t I ever say anything?” and losing chances. Throw away the insecurity and the perceived protection of invisibility.

I don't want to live a series of too lates, too bads, too nervous, too scared. I doubt you do either. So why don't we just go for it??

Is it fear of rejection? Of failure? Of putting ourselves out there?

We move past these fears in other scenarios often enough. We jump off mountains and swim to the depths of the ocean; we defy danger for the chance to feel as if we are truly living.

What makes this really so different? Why should this be categorized as “too hard?”

It’s all too short for these ridiculous concerns.

I mean, for one, the earth is huge. You see people and then never see them again. Even high school, or college -- four entire years -- seems like a passing moment upon reflection.

So why not just go for it? Why not put yourself out there? Sure, you might embarrass yourself, sure it might backfire, but will anyone remember in a couple of years? Will you even remember?

And what if it works? Are you going to give up on something great because of the chance of failure? Is that how you want to live? Is that how you are trying to succeed in your career? No? Then why is this different? It's the same life!

Reexamine yourself, your life, your mind. Take a new look at how you're living.

Are you hiding? Why? Who knows how long you'll be in this town, in this place, with these people? Who knows when your time will come, if that guy you're crushing on will be in an accident or if that woman who's career you admire will move overseas.

Stop waiting for something bad to happen to shock you into realization. Do something before you lose the chance, but don’t do it because of that. Do it because you want to live a life, not just exist. Do it to make things happen.