Remembering Tom Petty | The Odyssey Online

Remembering Tom Petty

A sad day in the world of rock.

36
Remembering Tom Petty
Tom Petty

October 2, 2017 was a day that started out gloomy and turned even gloomier. What was already a rainy and stormy day on the University of Minnesota campus, haunted by the terror of what happened in Las Vegas, became ever worse when news of Tom Petty’s death circulated.

The rock-and-roll Hall-of-Famer, who just ended his tour with "The Heartbreakers" last week, was rushed to the hospital due to cardiac arrest. He could not be revived and died peacefully surrounded by loved ones, as his family confirmed on Monday night.

According to an interview with the "Rolling Stone" magazine, the tour Tom just finished was to be his last. However, he had no intention to stop playing music. Petty himself said, “I need something to do or I tend to be a nuisance around the house.”

This musician started his iconic career at the age of fourteen, when he started a band that later compelled him to drop out of high school at seventeen to dedicate more time to his music. His path was tumultuous at times as he battled a heroin addiction, produced failed albums, filed for bankruptcy, ended a marriage and dealt with the wreckage of a home that was burnt down. Through it all, Tom Petty became a classic rock icon. His dynamic music is well-known to many. With all of his success in the past few years, Petty felt and took advantage of the freedom he had to do and be whomever he wanted.

Petty’s death was met with international heartbreak and sympathy, expressed through Tweets by other rock legends including Bob Dylan, Bruce Springsteen, Paul McCartney and many others.

Bob Dylan reacted with the message, “It’s shocking, crushing news. I thought the world of Tom. I’ll never forget him.”

Bruce Springsteen tweeted, “Down here on E Street, we’re devastated and heartbroken over the death of Tom Petty. Our hearts go out to his family and bandmates. I’ve always felt a deep kinship with his music. A great songwriter and performer, whenever we saw each other it was like running into a long-lost brother. Our world will be a sadder place without him.”

Paul McCartney also tweeted, “Dear Tom, so sad to hear of his passing. What a lovely, intelligent and talented man he was. Love to his family.”

With a simple search of “Tom Petty” on Twitter, you can see many other Tweets showing love and support for Tom, his music and his family.

With the passing of Tom Petty and so many other music legends, we can only wonder who’s next and the magnitude of heartbreak the news will bring. But, music is infinite and the songs of these legends can live on forever even in the absence of the singers and bands. It’s comforting to know that music is still being made, still changing the world and amplifying our culture, making its own mark on history.

On will live Petty’s legacy, including songs like “I Won’t Back Down,” “Free Fallin,” “You Don’t Know How It Feels,” “Mary Jane’s Last Dance,” and “American Girl.”

More information can be found here and here.