Remember When Tina Fey Told Us The Most Important Lesson?

"You all have got to stop calling each other sluts and whores, it just makes it OK for guys to call you sluts and whores."

1806
splitsider.com

Flashback to 2004 when the infamous movie "Mean Girls" came out. The comedy on a girl who transfers schools to the United States, and is pulled into a world of popularity, cliques and public school tactics. The "Mean Girls" quotes started in 2004, and they haven't stopped since. I doubt "Mean Girls" will ever die out, its just a classic. I'll probably be quoting it with my friends until the time I'm 80 years old. The classic "is butter a carb?" or "she doesn't even go here" quotes pop up in our friends daily conversations. But we never remember the not so comical parts of the movie, do we? Like when Tina Fey (who plays the teacher Ms. Norbury) says to all the junior girls "You all have got to stop calling each other sluts and whores.. it just makes it OK for guys to call you sluts and whores."

We live in a society of girls trying to stand up for each other, but also put each other down any other time. It's easy for us to stand up for a girl when some slimy guy calls her something along the lines of a bitch, slut, whore, but can you say that you never talked down on her to others? Can you say that you've never called a girl one of these names? Or, can you say that if the situation was different, and a girl called her that, would you have stepped in? We all want women's rights, feminism, equality and respect from men. But we're all too quick to call each other bitches.

If we want respect as a whole, we must first respect each other. That doesn't mean that we all have to hold hands and sing "Kumbaya" around a campfire. Nope. Never. We're girls, we're going to dislike each other sometimes. But we all can at least start respecting each other. Respect that girl who you have the urge to call a slut because of her outfit, or call that girl who can be a little bossy a bitch. How can you expect guys to refrain from calling us names if we can't stop doing it ourselves?

You can call out as many guys as possible, retweet and share as many posts on respecting women and equality as you can, but nothing will change until you do. So what if you feel like some girls are actually bitches, sluts or whores? That's them, not you. There's no reason for you to go around labeling people. No reason to tell people how you feel about them if it's not nice. We could all use some kindness now and then. Everyone fights a daily battle that you know nothing of. What if the girl you called a bitch has been told before that she doesn't stand up for herself enough? What if the girl that you called a slut was only called that because of a rumor you heard?

Remember when your mom told you that if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all? You should. You should remember it and utilize it every single day. We're girls, we know that not much in the world is nice to us, so let's at least be nice to each other? So.... let's stop calling each other sluts and whores. Not only because it makes it OK for others to call us that, but because we need to have each other's backs. Besides, who understands a girl, more than a girl?