The Relationship Between Coaching And Teaching | The Odyssey Online

The Relationship Between Coaching And Teaching

How coaching has made me a better teacher and teaching has made me a better coach.

772

As many people know that have played sports growing up, a lot of their coaches were also teachers. If you think about about coaching and teaching, they are very similar. I think they go hand in hand with one another. It is something that I will be experiencing first hand this coming semester.

I am currently ready to start my final semester of my undergrad. I will be graduating with a degree in technology and engineering education which will allow me to teach classes such as engineering, production, metal and electronics. It is a great area to be in if you are interested in those things. Just a little plug. So teaching allows me to work with students to improve their skills in these areas. Many of the students that I encounter on a day-to-day basis have an interest in this particular area. I am helping them expand their skills which will allow them to maybe one day become a better contributing member of society. As many of the skills can help them through life and be more successful. I am also teaching skills that are not always given in other classes. I get some time to work on character traits and life experiences that can help them succeed in more then just the classroom. Which I think is my most important job as a teacher. My goal as a teacher to help every student reach a goal they have set for themselves during the time they are with me. If I can do that, I feel like I have succeeded as a teacher.

I will be coaching, as well, this fall. I have been fortunate enough to get the opportunity to work with youth players and college level players. Through coaching thus far, I have found it very enjoyable. I get to work with kids and help them grow in the game of soccer. I have got the chance to work with kids at the beginning of the season and watch them grow into better players. That is so rewarding as a coach to see the players become better. As a coach, I have to get the players ready for the next level. After a year, I hand them on to the next coach. If they are not prepared well enough, the coach above me will not be able to succeed as easily. As well, the players will not be able to have success at the next level. I need to make sure I am doing everything that I possibly can to help them he successful. That makes me feel accomplished as a coach if the players do well at the next level. Of course I will go watch my players and see how they are doing. With the college level, it is a different story. I am helping many of the players reach their goals in the game. If I do not know what I am talking about or am not being effective, they will not be able to reach their goals as a player. Some players will look to play at the next level so I need to make sure they have that opportunity.

When you take a look at both coaching and teaching there is not too much of a difference. In both cases you are working with students, whether it be in the classroom or of the game of soccer. Doing both has helped me be successful on the field and in the classroom. I have learned a lot of my communication skills from soccer. Having to be able to communicate with players translates very easily to talking with students in the classroom. I feel like if I would not have had one or the other I would not be as effective.

I think that if there are any teachers out there that have the knowledge of a sport I would highly recommend trying to coach that sport and teach. They go so well together that it makes you better at each. I hope to continue along the path that I have laid out for myself. I have found a love for both and would find it hard to lose either one.