Why Having Siblings Is Amazing | The Odyssey Online

Why Having Siblings Is Amazing

A bond stronger than a Chinese finger trap.

32
Why Having Siblings Is Amazing
Kalyn Johnson

Being one of eight siblings, I know all too well that having a large family can be difficult.You never have time to yourself, someone is always yelling and there are never any snacks in the house. Even vacations or just time apart from each other isn’t something that happens often, but we learn to enjoy each others company... or in some cases, tolerate each other. However, it can also be amazing. Here are a couple reasons why having a bunch of siblings is the best.

1. Spontaneous movie nights happen almost every night.

2. Nerf gun wars are actual wars.

3. Opening presents on Christmas lasts a minimum of two hours.

4. There is always someone to talk to.

5. Even at 3 a.m. spontaneous roasting sessions.

6. There is always a sibling who is the butt of everyone's jokes, and takes it like a champ!

7. You're always up to date on the latest preschool, elementary, middle school, high school, college and workplace drama.

8. If you’re somewhere in the middle, you can get away with anything... well, almost anything!

9. Always having good new music samples. Or bad ones, depending on the sibling.

10. Usually having a study buddy.Or just having someone to eat chips with while you “study.”

11. Always looking better than your siblings when you're wearing their clothes.

12. Constructive criticism is never lacking.

13. You've achieved A1 squad goals status.

You wish you were us.

14. You always have someone to look up to

15. (Sometimes) Successfully hiding your favorite snacks. (Pro tip: put it on top of a cabinet or in the bottom of the deep freezer.)

16. Having a massive support system.

17. Constantly fighting over who is Mom's favorite child, and knowing she can't possibly pick.

18. Just kidding I’m the favorite.

19. They can tell you which teachers are going to give to is hard time (also, you can use their math notes).

20. They give you the harsh reality check that sometimes you need.

Sometimes we dream a little too big, and siblings have to be brutally honest.

21. There’s never a dull moment around the holidays.

22. Knowing you'll never be alone.

If you think that having a lot of siblings is a bad thing, I hope this list has shed some light on how fantastic it can be. Sure, there are times where we bug the living snot out of each other but that's what siblings do. We beat each other up, call each other names, but will knock someone's teeth out if they did it to our siblings.

Ask someone who is apart of a big family for more perks. I feel like I'll be breaking some kind of sibling code if I talk about the water drinking contests and midnight bike rides through the city.

I don't know where I’d be without all eight of my annoying, aggressive, loving, spontaneously amazing siblings.

All GIFs are from giphy.com