9 Reasons the Green Bay Packers Will Win the Super Bowl This Year

The Pack is ready to bring the Lombardi Trophy home.

25
onlineathens.com

It’s nearly fall, which means the singular greatest thing in the world: the Green Bay Packers are about to play football. The Pack come into the season as many people’s favorite to win the hallowed Lombardi Trophy. Those people are right. The Packers have the talent on both sides of the ball to win, so here are nine reasons the Green Bay Packers will win the Super Bowl this season.

1. A Young, Hungry Secondary

Sam Shields, Demarious Randall, Quinten Rollins, Micah Hyde, Morgan Burnett and Ha Ha Clinton-Dix make up a young Packer’s defensive backfield that should be one of the best in the league. They are all quick, athletic ball-hawks who will be able to create turnovers, something sorely lacking from the defense in previous years.

2. Eddie Lacy’s Return to Top Five Running Back Status

Last year Eddie Lacy was a top five eater, this year a top five running back. Lacy has worked all offseason to remedy his poor physical condition that plagued his last year. This year Lacy looks to be in excellent shape, and will hopefully regain the speed and power combination that made his such a promising back. If he does, the offense will be even more open and dangerous.

3. Mike McCarthy’s Return to Calling the Plays

Last year, McCarthy gave up the play-calling duties for the first time in his career. It did not seem to work out. The offense did not have the same pop and flair that cheeseheads were used to in the Mike McCarthy/Aaron Rodgers called offense. This year McCarthy is back in Rodgers’s headset. The pair have combined to be a top offense every year prior, and this year should be no different.

4. Jared Cook

The Packers offense is most successful when they have a big, strong tight end that makes defenses respect the middle of the field. Jared Cook fits the bill. Cook has the the talent to be an elite tight end, but wasted away in St. Louis as Sam Bradford sailed passes over his head. Now in Green Bay, Cook has the fortune to play with a decidedly superior quarterback. Rodgers has already taken a liking to his new weapon, as he has made it a point to look for him in the red zone in practices. The Packers struggled inside the 20 last year, but Cook will be a huge part in fixing this problem this season.

5. The Return of Jordy Nelson

The biggest problem with the Packers offense last season was the utter lack of receiver speed (not at all helped by the team’s refusal to give Jeff Janis more playing time during the regular season). That’s about to change. Fan favorite Jordy Nelson is back from a devastating injury that left the Pack offense crippled. Nelson brings speed and a deep threat back to the team, and Packer fans couldn’t be more excited.

6. Mike Daniels as a DPOY Candidate

Mike Daniels is the most underrated defenseman in the league. That changes this year. Daniels’ ability to defend both the run and rush the passer is rare in a defensive lineman, and Daniels is able to do it better than most. He is the glue of the Packers defense, and possibly the third most important player on the team. This year the rest of the league will realize his immense talent, and he will finish in the top five in Defensive Player of the Year award.

7. Weak Competition

The Packers have an incredibly easy schedule this year. They should easily be able to secure a top seed and home field advantage for the playoffs. The only real challenges should be the NFC North division rival Vikings as well as the Colts and Seahawks, but luckily both games are at Lambeau.

8. Aaron Rodgers MVP Season

Aaron Rodgers is looking for revenge all winter ’16/’17. Rodgers “down” season last year was still spectacular, but it still has left some doubting the best QB in the league. Rodgers will easily prove the doubters wrong this year. With a revamped receiving core and running game, A-Rod will be able to pick defenses apart on the way to his third MVP and another Super Bowl ring.

9. They're Due

The Packers have had terrible luck the past few seasons, but that changes this year. If the ball bounces their way just a few times this year, they have the talent to take the Lombardi back to it’s rightful home.