Away To Neverland | The Odyssey Online

Away To Neverland

Jason Wood's adaptation of Peter Pan is truly a magical adventure.

115
Away To Neverland
Jason Woods

I have had the pleasure of knowing Jason Woods for about a year now. When I think of Jason a few words come to mind, creative, inventive, magical, witty, and many more. In the fall of 2015 Jason Woods wrote and mounted a production of his original work, "St George and The Dragon" at Christ Episcopal Church and again at WJCT Studios. The show was a success to say the least and fans of the show patiently waited for what was next. In the earlier part of 2016 Jason announced that he would be writing a new adaptation of the classic story Peter Pan, with original songs and music written and composed by himself.

I had the pleasure of getting to see the show opening night. I was curious to see if Jason Woods could catch lightning in a bottle again after the success of St. George and The Dragon. Peter Pan is a very old character that has been done time and time again. Often these productions fail to capture the magic of the piece. Jason Wood's production DID capture the magic and the childlike wonder of the story we all know and love. It made us laugh, had us on the edge of our seats, but ultimately it made us feel. That is something that is very rare to capture in a story and this production did it wonderfully.

The show began with an impressive opening sequence done by stagehands accompanied by the opening song "Come With Me" which feature Sadie La Manna's soothing vocals. Then we meet Wendy, Michael, and John Darling in their bedroom. Also we meet their dog, Nana who is puppeteered by Hannah Woods. Not only was the puppet impressively crafted and handled, but Hannah's performance brought Nana to life. She was very funny and her facial expressions matched up perfectly with the dogs actions without taking away from the show.

After a fun ensemble scene between the four actors we meet the children's parents, George and Mary Darling played by Eric Yarham and Kristen Yates. The two worked very well together and the way Jason wrote the characters with opposite personalities which was complimented by their great performance.

After the second song "I'll be here" we meet our titular character Peter Pan, played by Blake McClure and Tinkerbell, played by Madelyn Wells. Tinkerbell was brought to life with a little bit of stage magic as well as the fun performance by Madelyn. A thumb light was used to represent Tinkerbell on Madelyn's hand. Peter Pan also had a light so that whenever Peter was addressing Tinkerbell, it seemed as though the light had magical jumped from one side of the stage to another. Very fun to watch.

The third song of the show, "Neverland" was the first sort of ensemble song of the show as it was sung by Peter, Wendy, John, and Michael. Neverland worked well as a lyrical and musical transition of the world the audience was about to be taken to. Christ Episcopal church's theater isn't a huge area. I was very intrigued to see how Jason planned to transform the space into Neverland, but I knew he had something brilliant up his sleeve. The stagehands swiftly and seamlessly transformed the entire space into Neverland. Accompanied by Fog, lights, and magical music the transition was a pleasurable part of the show to watch.

Jason has a talent that many writers do not have. He is able to write clean humor that is genuinely funny to people of all ages. The first scene in Neverland which featured these adorable lost boys proved just that. The Lost Boys, Tootles, Nibs, Curly, and Slightly were very energetic and fun for the audience. Shortly after their brief, but hysterical scene we meet the Indians led by Tiger Lily, played by Lauren Albert.

The song "Tribal Trouble" was a high energy dance number which was brilliantly choreographed by Ashley Yarham and brought to life by Tiger Lily and the ensemble of Indians. About halfway through the song, the stage lights go out and black lights illuminate the body paint on the dancers in a complete and total WOW moment for the audience.

Almost instantly after we meet Captian Hook, Mr Smee and The Pirates. Hook and The Pirates share a hysterical number entitled "Dressed to Kill'. I felt like this number established exactly what kind of Captian Hook Jason wrote. Each Pirate was their own unique character full of energy. Mr Smee, played by Myles Edward Hughes laugh out loud funny in every moment he was onstage without taking away from the character of focus.

The pirates capture and interrogate Tiger Lily, who can only speak sign language. So Tiger Lily has her own solo dance number which in sign language means, "no." A very laugh out loud moment for the audience.

Part of what made St George and The Dragon so magical was the giant dragon operated by Four Stagehands. Fans of the St George along with new audience members were in for a treat when it came to the ticking croc. The Crocodile was operated by Tyler Lewis and Cameron Pfahler. You didn't feel like you were watching two individuals operate a crocodile. You felt like you were watching the Crocodile and it was a scene stealer everytime it made its way through the audience.

Captian Hook and Mr Smee venture off to seek help from the Mermaids. There we meet Mermaid Moll, played by Sadie La Manna and her Mermaid Gals. The Final number of act one was "What Can You Do For Me" which featured Mermaid Moll, The Mermaids Hook and Smee and was an absolute show stopper and (song-wise) ended act one on a VERY high note. I've had the pleasure of seeing Sadie perform in many roles over the past few years and she always carries a commanding stage presence and Mermaid Moll was no exception and my favorite role I've seen her in. After the song Hook is frozen in pure horror and agony as the area around him transforms back to Neverland in a hilarious scene. It was this moment when I truly realized how well cast the show was, but these two roles (Smee and Hook) In particular. Joshua Taylor and Myles Edward Hughes perfectly complimented each other's performances. The physical comedy felt very reminiscent of old slapstick like Moe and Larry of the three stooges (Sorry Curly).

Act Two begins with another powerful number, "Mermaid Love" performed by Mermaid Moll and the highly energetic and fun Mermaids. After the song A wall of cloth drops and we see Skull Rock/Hook's ship.

Peter and Wendy hide inside the Rock while Peter Deceives Smee and another Pirate to let Tiger Lily free. After which Peter reveals himself to Hook and a brief dual ensues. Very fun Stage Combat between the two that didn't feel cheesy or childish at all. Hook and The Pirates have another very fun and humorous number entitled " He's Not Bad At All, Just Mostly ". After that the audience is taken to The Lost Boy's Hideout where Tiger Lily is returned to the Indians. "Sun, Moon, and Stars" was the number that followed the brief scene and this was my favorite song of the show, because it felt like a spiritual song. Each performer onstage had a piece of colored cloth in their hands they used during the choreography of the song. I believe each color represented either the Sun Moon or the Stars. The Choreography wasn't high energy like "Tribal Trouble" or very humorous like "Dressed to Kill" it was powerful. That was what set this number aside for me. It felt like a powerful spiritual anthem produced by the choreography and music.

This was the point where the character's and the theme were established so Jason's writing moved into new territory. The Heart of the show. Peter Pan is about the boy who never grew up and Jason struck every single one of those chords beautifully. Wendy sings a reprise of "I'll Be Here" which could not have been placed any better. At this point the song felt like it had a whole new meaning.

As Wendy and her brothers attempt to leave Neverland with the Lost Boys, they are captured by the pirates. They, along with the audience are taken to The Jolly Roger. Hook attempts to recruit two new pirates, but the plans don't quite work out. "Take Our Advice" is the last song of the show which is sung by The Pirates, Lost Boys, Wendy, John, and Michael. Peter Pan comes aboard the Jolly Roger to save the day after one more epic sword fight with Captain Hook. Peter then must say Goodbye in a moment that tugs the audiences hearts.

The Darling Children and The Lost Boys go back home in a heart warming scene with the parents where they welcome their new children after a bit of convincing. The ending of the show was the first time I've seen a Peter Pan that got it right. It wasn't a happy ending, it wasn't a sad ending. It was a very bitter sweet ending that I will not spoil.

All in all what makes Jason's shows a success is the sense of unity that falls over the cast and crew. Believe it or not the audience can absolutely feel the positive energy of a cast and crew that works together like a team, or one really big darling family. As a giant cast with ages ranging from 8-68 there was someone for everyone. A character that the audience loved, adored, loved to hate, hated to love, or a character that reminded us a bit of ourselves. Jason Woods caught lightning in a bottle for the second time now with an original work. He took on the challenge of telling the story of Peter Pan. While keeping the story true and familiar to the source, he intertwined his own whimsical vision and created a truly magical production. Peter Pan is the story of a boy who never grew up, who never lost his childlike wonder. I'm convinced that Jason Woods has a bit of Peter Pan in him.

Peter Pan was funded by the Mallory Fund, which is part of the Christ Episcopal Church Charitable Foundation. For Tickets and Information visit: http://readyforneverland.com/

FULL CAST AND CREW

Wendy Darling- Summer Grace Grable

Peter Pan- Blake McClure

Tinker Bell- Madelyn Wells

John Darling- William Chase

Michael Darling- Casey Carroll

Nana- Hannah Woods

George Darling- Eric Yarham

Mary Darling- Kirsten Yates

Hook- Joshua Taylor

Mr Smee- Myles Edward Hughes

Starkey- Juan Ocharan

Noodler- Meganne Johnson

Cesar- Alec Hadden

Romero- Brian Johnson

Burgess- Jimmy Pennella

Meredith- Boston Woods

Tootles- Jack Niemczyk

Nibs- Charlie Pennella

Curly- Kristopher Stam

Slightly- Justice Klingler

Tiger Lily- Lauren Albert

Indian Scouts- Bayden Armstrong, Emma Bailey, Chanel Boll, Brigitta Goliber, Megan Landis, Halle Morrow, Bridgette Wells, Ava Zilahy

Indian Tribe- Eric Yarham, Julia Auchter, Shari Lin Muldoon, Mario Noto, Maya Pinfield, Iaan Quintanilla, Kelly Stam

Mermaid Moll- Sadie La Manna

The Mermaids- Julie Buckley, Karyn Carroll, Rosalie Davies, Vickie Dell, Ashley Harper, Pam Joiner, Jeanie Lijoi, Danielle Moore, Linda Muldoon, Patrice Kaye Sheedy

Older Wendy- Elizabeth Bricknell

Jane- Katherine Chase

The Crocodile- Tyler Lewis and Cameron Pfahler

Written and Directed by Jason Woods

Executive Producer/Vocal Coach- Rachel Root

Producer- Barbra Roberts

Music/Songs written and composed by Jason Woods

Choreography- Ashley Yarham

Stage Manager- Lora Christl

Creative/Artistic Consultant- Shane Estock

Rehearsal Assistant/Stagehand- Chloe LaPrade

Lighting Design/Special Effects- Matt Moore

Sound- Garrett Spies

House Manager- Krystal Woods

Props- Heather Goliber

Costume Coordinator- Pam Joiner

Costumes- Hope Adkins, Carol Holland, Pat Buckley, Verne Shortell

Ticket Chairperson- Sandy Evans

Makeup Consultant- Linda Schrenk

Graphic Design- Jason Woods

Website- Kelley Stam

Stageteam- Kristin Alexander, Elizabeth Bricknell, Lora Christl, Chad Krug, Tyler Lewis, Cameron Pfaler, Hannah Woods, Heather Goliber, Chloe LaPrade

Crocodile Construction/Design- Jason and Krystal Woods

Nana Design- Jason and Krystal Woods

Nana Assistance- Kristina Klingler, Heather Goliber, Ashley Yarham

Scenic Design- Jason Woods

Makeup Consultation/Training- Linda Schrenk

Set Painting/Embellishments- Shane Estock, Angie Smith, Emma and Mr. Bailey, Brian and Meganne Johnson, Bayden and Mr and Mrs Armstrong, Lauren Albert, William, Catherine and Emmie Chase, Jeanie Lijoi, Lora Christl, Ashley and Eric Yarham, Krystal, Boston, Hannah, and Jason Woods, Kelley and Christopher Stam