Ranking Pokemon Games - The Odyssey Online

Ranking Pokemon Games

A ranking of Pokemon generations, from best to worst.

722
Ranking Pokemon Games
Joby Bongco

With the recent overnight trend that is Pokémon Go, I believe it is time to revisit the franchise’s roots and rank their games, from best to worst. The Pokémon world is clearly massive, expanding across various regions each with their own unique Pokémon to capture, train and battle. The series started with 151 original Pokémon and rapidly expanded to 721 in the next two decades. With over 20 individual games I will be ranking by “generations.”

Personally, I would give each Pokémon game a gold star for the countless hours of entertainment they have offered me from my childhood and even to this day, however I want to rank them based on how they have affected the franchise.

Generation 1

Naturally, being the first generation in the Pokémon franchise, generation 1 games have to be on the top of the list. This is the generation of Gameboy games that started

the franchise and guided it to what it is today, a massive franchise expanding all over the world. The first generation of Pokémon games contained three titles, "Pokémon Red," "Pokémon Blue" and a later edition "Pokémon Yellow." These games are a classic and have aged well, inspiring remakes in later generations yet still attracting younger players to play the originals.

Generation 3

Generation 3 Pokémon games are my personal favorite as this is the first generation to make its way to the Gameboy Advance platform. With improvements in graphics and featuring a wide variety of new and unique Pokémon that comes with a franchise maturing. The feature titles of this generation are "Pokémon Ruby," "Pokémon Sapphire" and "Pokémon Emerald." These games introduced several new gameplay elements such as secret bases, double battles (a standard in titles after), and in "Pokémon Emerald" the Battle Frontier. The introduction of the Battle Frontier made "Pokémon Emerald" more challenging as well as increased the replay value. Generation 3 also introduced remakes of generation 1 games titled "Pokémon Fire Red" and "Pokémon Leaf Green" with updated graphics and wireless communication features allowing players of generation 3 Pokémon to trade and battle without the need of cables.

Generation 2

Generation 2 Pokémon titles are special to me as they were the first Pokémon games I have played. This generation revolved around "Pokémon Gold," "Pokémon Silver" and "Pokémon Crystal," each featuring their own legendary cover Pokémon: Hoho, Lugia and Suicune. These games also had in my opinion the best in-game lore. This generation revolutionized the franchise by including a day/night cycle which revolved in game. The time of day when playing mattered now as certain Pokémon and features were only available during certain times throughout the day (another feature implemented in later Pokémon titles). Generation 2 titles also featured an expansive world as it not only featured its own region, but also included the Kanto region from the first generation titles.

Generation 4

Generation 4 Pokémon games introduced wireless multiplayer, however in a different sense. Due to advances in technology and the widespread of Wi-Fi, generation 4 Pokémon games allowed players to battle, trade and interact without even being remotely close to one another. Generation 4 also had a new platform for the developers to take advantage off, the Nintendo DS, which allowed for not only Wi-Fi, but new gameplay elements such as the usage (however minimal) of a secondary touch screen. This generation revolved around three main titles as is the norm including "Pokémon Diamond," "Pokémon Pearl" and "Pokémon Platinum." With a massive region, new and interesting lore and Pokémon and the re-introduction of the day/night cycle along with impressive graphics, this generation stand out. A major stepping stone in the Pokémon franchise graphic and gameplay wise it only made sense for Nintendo to remake generation 2 titles which they have with "Pokémon Heart Gold" and "Pokémon Soul Silver."

Generation 5

I would have to place generation 5 at the bottom. These are great games as well as the first in the franchise to introduce direct sequels, however certain gameplay elements make the titles seem easier than previous generations. For example, in previous Pokémon titles you would be able to use TMs to give one Pokémon a particular powerful move, Now TMs can be used an unlimited amount of times. This generation revolved around "Pokémon Black" and "Pokémon White" as well as their direct sequels "Pokémon Black 2" and "Pokémon White 2." A milestone in graphics, generation 5 is still worth checking out, as well as later Pokémon games available exclusively on the Nintendo 3DS.