I've Got An Egg On My Face | The Odyssey Online

I've Got An Egg On My Face

Phrases, idioms and all sayings atypical to a pre-career teen.

26
I've Got An Egg On My Face
Happy Campo

We've all heard them before, in Western films and from our parents, but some idioms are not so common, until your first internship that is. As a college student, you've probably acquired a few different experiences under your belt in the form of internships or plan on doing so. What I have noticed from my higher ups and other seasoned career men and women is that the use of various idioms and sayings are a part of their daily vocabulary. From sitting in on meetings or attending forums, I began to take better notice of these phrases and write them down.

Below are a few, in no particular order.

1. It ain't over until the fat lady sings.

We've all heard this one before! Do not celebrate so soon. In other words, do not assume that something is done until it is done.

2. Don't put the carriage before the horse.

Being too anxious makes you impatient to a fault. Slow it down, take it step by step and think it through!

3. Don't jump the gun.

Much like the previous one, do not be too anxious and impulsive.

4. That's like the pot calling the kettle black.

This is pretty much a euphemism for calling someone a hypocrite.

5. You can't see the forest from the trees.

This type of person struggles to see the big picture.

6. Grass roots.

The grass roots of an organization or campaign, per say, are the ordinary people involved and are distinctly separate from the active leaders.

7. We're just shooting the sh*t.

If you are engaged in garrulous conversation or any sort of small talk, then this saying may come to mind.

8. People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

Don't talk about people when you shouldn't be because there are plenty of people to talk about you.

9. Looking at things from a thousand feet up.

This person can see the forest from the trees.

10. New blood.

If someone you have is burnt out, then you need a new person; you need new blood.

11. Fire in the belly.

For the ambitious and power hungry individuals!

12. Under promise, over deliver.

This is pretty self explanatory...don't do it the other way around.

13. He's wet behind the ears; he's green.

This would translate to: he lacks experience.

14. Don't cry over spilled milk.

What's done is done; you need to move forward.

15. They pulled the rug out from under me.

They tricked me and I did not expect it.

16. Writing is on the wall.

It's obvious.

17. When hell freezes over.

That's never going to happen.

18. Not under my watch.

That's not going to happen as long as I'm around.

19. Life's a "female dog" and then you die.

Life sucks and then it's over.

20. The old stomping ground.

This is where you used to hang out, pretty much.

21. Egg on my face.

You probably made a mistake; one that has made you appear embarrassed or foolish.

So now I'm curious. How many idioms were you already familiar with? Of course, there are many, many more out there. Please feel free to share them with me!