Random Holidays Know One Knows About (But We Should All Celebrate) | The Odyssey Online

Random Holidays Know One Knows About (But We Should All Celebrate)

Well, this is interesting...

367
Huffington Post

I am the type of person who Googles everything. Literally. Everything. There was even one night my asthma was messing up and I googled how to breathe. (No I am not kidding, look below!)

Yes, I was given an answer that seemed to be someone trying to mess with me, but you get the point. So one night as I was sitting in my bed and wondering, “Jennifer, what the heck can you write this week that people will want to read?” And just like that, a light bulb went off in my head! How many holidays do I not know about that others are missing out on too? So what did I do? Went to google of course and it pulled up a full 2016 calendar of holidays no one seems to know about!! Below are some holidays I found out about that seem to be odd, and interesting!

January 4th- Let us play a little game… can you guess what holiday falls on January 4th? No? Well, it's Trivia Day of course! Robert L. Birch beat me to the punch and created this day. Good for him! Now, what holiday is next?

January 5th- National bird Day

Say whaaaaaa? *Cue parrot echoing* who would have guessed that birds would have their own holiday? Do you personally own a pet bird? Well if so, you better be giving them presents because this is their day!!

January 25th- Opposite Day

Wow, that sure has me thinking. Makes me want to go out and do all the crazy things SpongeBob and Patrick did on opposite day. This whole day has me confused!

February 8th- Chinese New Year

Okay, okay. Maybe you have heard of this one, but did you know it fell on February 8th? Also, cool fact, it is the year 4714 according to this. Man, do I feel old.

March 8th- National Women’s Day

Sorry, I had to fit this one in here. I am all about woman empowerment, so had to share that we get our own day. Read it and weep boys.

1st Friday in April- National Walk to work Day

Do people do this? I need more friends I guess because I don’t know one person who has done this. Maybe you didn’t know about it? Well, here you go!

April 22nd- Earth Day

I knew about this as a kid, but never knew the exact date it fell on. Today is the day to go outside and appreciate the earth.

June 14th- Flag Day

Better start picking out those American flag swimsuits early, because June 14th is flag day! This holiday was made for Americans to show their support in the amazing American flag and the people behind it.

July 22nd- National hammock Day

Where is my sweet tea and sunglasses? Better get ready to relax on July 22nd and get the hammock out. Sit out in front of the water and just enjoy the day.

August 3rd- National watermelon Day

Wow, who would have guessed watermelon gets its own holiday!

August 10th- National S’mores Day

Better get that fire started and some marshmallows!!

First Friday in October- World Smile Day

This is my favorite of the holidays I have yet to name. This holiday was made after the “yellow smiley face” you see on everything, including stamps. Rumor has it Congress was the ones who created this holiday!

Fourth Saturday in October- Make a difference Day.

I feel like this holiday should be an everyday occurrence. Make a difference in someone’s life, even if that someone is you!

December 12th- Poinsettia Day

This holiday isn’t as beautiful as the flowers, unfortunately. This day marks the death of Joel Roberts Poinsett, who first brought back the plant from Mexico to South Carolina. Poinsettia Day just turned into Poinsadda Day. (Sorry, I had to)

December 27th- The last holiday of the year we have to celebrate is National Fruitcake Day that takes place on . What a coincidence it just so happens to be a few days after Christmas!

I hope you enjoyed learning about these holidays as much as i did!