Raking Every Marvel Cinematic Universe Film (So Far) - The Odyssey Online

Raking Every Marvel Cinematic Universe Film (So Far)

My personal ranking of all the Marvel Cinematic Universe films (so far) from worst to best.

51

With the big buzz surrounding the release of Marvel's latest film Captain America: Civil War, I thought I'd take a look back at all 13 films that have come out so far and rank them. So here they are from worst to best all thirteen Marvel Cinematic Universe films. Also, before I begin, there are based solely on opinion, feel free to agree or disagree with me!!

Iron Man 2

The universally hated sequel to one of Marvel's most popular franchises. It's probably no shock to any Marvel fan that I rank this the worst film. Whenever I talk to anyone about Marvel films, good or bad, Iron Man 2 always comes up as the worst film. I remember hearing about how bad it was before actually seeing and thought it can't be that bad can it? But I was wrong it could be that bad. Now before I continue, I just want to make it clear that even though this is the worst Marvel film I've seen so far, it's not the worst movie I've ever seen. The big issue I had with this movie is that they throw a lot of different plot elements at you and most of them go nowhere.

There's an issue with Tony's heart slowly giving out from the gem that powers his suit and they never follow up on it. They also build up Mickey Rourke's character as well as the other machines he's been building but at the end, they're only there for a few minutes. Rourke is built up as the big villain for this film but you barely see him in the movie. The big fight scene doesn't come until the end of the movie and it's not even long enough to enjoy. This film had the job of following one of the most popular super hero films, but unfortunately, it was not up to the task and failed miserably, making it the biggest dud that Marvel has yet to release.

Thor

I'll just be honest with this one, I know a lot of people liked this film and I am a fan of the Thor character but I was not a fan of this movie. I tried really hard to get into this one but for some reason, there was just something lacking in it. Maybe it was because I had seen the Avengers before I saw this and after already seeing what Thor could do in that film, it was a bit of a let down to see him not be able to do any of that in this film. I was also not a big fan of the fish-out-water story-line as I would have much rather have seen Thor's home world and seeing him battle other Gods rather than walking around a bland town.

I also didn't find the side characters to be that interesting either besides Thor's other God friends, but again we don't see enough of them. While Chris Hemsworth put on a good performance as Thor and there was some good action in it, this film fell flat for me. It left me wanting more but in the way that I felt that I was not given enough. I felt that there could have been a lot more done with this film to make it more interesting but again it just fell flat, in my opinion, not the best showing from Marvel and in my opinion, a dud.

Thor: The Dark World

Sadly Thor's sequel didn't prove to be much better. Before I mentioned I wanted to see more of Thor's home world but what we get in this world is not what I wanted to see. The Dark World itself is just a very bleak and dull setting. The main villain is very forgettable (so forgettable I don't even remember his name) and doesn't do anything to make the plot any more interesting and just made me miss Loki. But not for long as Loki also returns in this film and brings his wit and charm that endeared us to him. I did like the idea of him and Thor teaming up, especially after all they had been through in the previous film and the Avengers.

But again this did not last very long and Loki was out of the picture before the final third of the film. Just like it's predecessor it did very little to keep my interest. I didn't really care whether or not Thor defeated the villain and by the end of the movie just wanted it to be over. I will give it credit, though, some of the designs of Asgard were spectacular and great to look at but you don't get to see that much of it and again the design of the Dark World is just like it sounds, dark, bleak and uninspiring. Just like its predecessor, in my opinion at least, a dud. Strike two for Thor, hopefully, Ragnarok will be the series saving grace as I still believe there is great potential that can be done with Thor.

The Incredible Hulk

Following the success of Iron Man, the Incredible Hulk movie had a tough act to follow as well as the fact that audiences already had a bad taste in their mouths from the previous Hulk film. This time, Bruce Banner is played by Edward Norton who proves to be a good choice as he is able to pull off being intelligent as well as being bad ass. Tim Roth as the villain is also a good choice as he is able to successfully portray an obsessed man slowly turning into a monster himself. One thing that this movie is notable for is the first time we got to see our favorite Marvel heroes interact as part of the same universe.

The post-credit scene featuring Robert Downey Jr. was the first time we actually saw that these films were all connected and we fans were given a teaser at the possibility of seeing the Avengers on the big screen one day. While I can say that this film is an improvement from the last Hulk film, it was still a pretty underwhelming film. One big issue I had with it was the fact that we don't really see the Hulk do anything that "incredible". In the beginning, there is some good build up to the Hulk's appearance but after that we sort of just see him hanging around and not doing that much. I am personally not a fan of the Incredible Hulk, mainly because I don't see how a big monster who destroys everything can be considered a hero but with this film we don't even get that as much as we should and in my opinion made the Hulk seem less incredible and just okay. Not a terrible movie and not one I regret seeing but I also would consider it one of Marvels weaker films.

Captain America: The First Avenger

Just like Thor, I was also not a big fan of Captain America's first entry in the Marvel Universe. The first half of the film was not very exciting as it just showed the Captain being a figurehead more than a superhero and overall the film was a bit too cheesy for my taste. I also felt that the main villain of the film, The Red Skull was a very weak villain. He wasn't very interesting and was not enough to make the story interesting. While definitely not the worst that Marvel has come out with, it's in my opinion, one of the weaker films and after seeing it my attitude was, well we got that out of the way now on to Avengers!!

Ant-Man

Now when I first heard that Marvel was making an Ant-Man movie, my first response was really? Ant-Man? I was very certain that this would be one of Marvel's first big bombs. The idea just sounded ridiculous to me and I didn't think it would make for a good movie. But just like with Guardians of the Galaxy, I was utterly surprised by how good this movie actually was. For one the thing the cast was a strong set up with the likes of Paul Rudd, Michael Douglas and Evangeline Lily bringing their talents together to make a really fun superhero film.

I was worried at first about Paul Rudd playing a superhero but his performance put those fears to bed as he was able to bring his acting ability and comedic talent to make the character Ant-Man come to life and also make him an endearing addition to the Marvel Universe. The action in this film was also very creative making use of the idea of shrink technology and how it makes the average world look much grander. The best example of this is the climax of the film which takes place on a Thomas the Tank Engine train set. Not only is this funny but also a very creative way of using the environment around you. Overall this was a good surprise and a very enjoyable film. I definitely recommend it to anyone looking for a fun and action packed time.

Iron Man 3

Being the first Iron Man film I had seen, and being a big fan of Robert Downey Jr.'s performance as Tony Stark it was nice to see my favorite character in his own element and was excited to see what Iron Man could do on his own and I was not disappointed one bit. Downey's wit and sarcasm mixed with his seriousness and incredible acting ability really helped drive this.

I also enjoyed the story of Starks past coming back to bite him as well as the tie of him showing the effects of the events of the Avengers. While I know a lot of fans were not happy with the handling of the Mandarin, I still got a kick out of Ben Kingsley performance and still got a lot of enjoyment out do the film. I actually saw this film twice in theaters and both times I got the same enjoyment out of it and being one of my favorite Marvel films.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Not being a fan of the first Captain America film, my expectations weren't too high for the sequel but after watching Winter Soldier, I can say it is not only a good follow-up to the first film but also an improvement from the first film. With the first film already establishing the captains backstory, here we are thrown right into the action. And a big thing that makes this film so good is the action.

The villain of this film is also a huge improvement from the previous film as there is more reason to care about this character especially when we learn the Winter Soldiers true identity. Being a film that seemed to be made just to be filler before the release of Age of Ultron, this movie proved to be a really good entry into the Marvel Universe and for me, it took Captain America from being a corny superhero to a superhero I could take seriously.

Iron Man

The first film of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, iron man was a great action packed film that not only launched the new marvel universe but also helped revive the superhero franchise (along with the Dark Knight). This film also helped relaunch the career of its main star, Robert Downey Jr., who's career has fallen from previous years of personal problems. Downey makes this movie with his incredible performance as Tony Stark.

He really shows off his abilities as an actor as he brings his serious side, as well as his sarcasm and quick wit. This film put Downey back on the map as one of Hollywoods biggest stars and in my opinion helped bring the Iron Man franchise back to mainstream popularity. A great film to set up the new Marvel universe and was only the beginning of what would become a vast universe and a new era of superhero films.

Guardians of the Galaxy

Going into this film, I didn't know what to expect. At first, it seemed like a stupid concept to me but at the same time i was still intrigued and when I went to see it, I was blown away. I was so surprised by how good this movie was. It was so astonishing how word quickly spread at how good this movie was and the hype behind this was huge. At first, I worried it was going to be all hype and no substance but after watching it again, I can still say it's a really good movie.

It was a good blend of comedy, action and even drama. The characters were all very entertaining as well. Chris Pratt was enjoyable as Starlord, Batista was awesome as Drax and I was also very impressed by Bradley Cooper as Rocket Raccoon. His performance was so good at times I forgot it was Bradley Cooper doing the voice because I saw the character not the actor. Same goes for Vin Diesel as Groot even though he only says one thing it's still powerful. It was the best movie I had seen that summer and deservedly so. It was a great entry into the Marvel universe that took everyone by surprise. In my opinion one of the best Marvel movies that's come out.

Captain America: Civil War

Having just come out, Civil War has already received universal praise from fans and critics alike and I would be lying if I said I wasn't one of them. This movie not only lived up to the hype but was even better than I could have imagined. The story was told very well having me stuck down the middle on who to side with as both Captain America and Iron Man had good reasons for many of their actions in the film but we also see the consequences of both their actions, preventing the film from being one-sided. You really feel the conflict on both sides as Tony Stark is conflicted about whether or not what he's doing is right while also trying to maintain order while Captain America is conflicted about whether or not to conform as well as trying to protect his friend/rival.

The performances of Robert Downey, Jr. and Chris Evans really stood out in this film and made the conflict between the two characters much more real. I felt for these characters and it made me more invested in the story. The action in this movie was also spectacular. I loved the final battle between Captain America's team and Iron Man's team as we got to see our favorite heroes battle it out in an epic war of morality. I don't want to give anything away but let's just say we see a certain Marvel character (and one of my favorites!!) "swing" his way back to the big screen ;) Overall I really enjoyed this film and it's just another example of how much Marvel is capable of making another great film and reminding us why we love the superhero genre to begin with. I can't recommend this movie enough! Go see it if you haven't already!!

Marvel's The Avengers

I remember the big buzz that was going around when this film came out. Everyone was so hyped to see their favorite marvel superheroes battle each other and side by side on the big screen for the first time. I was just as hyped as everyone else but also worried that this movie would be all hype and no substance but thankfully after I saw it I can say this film not only lived up to the hype but it superseded it! The story was interesting, the characters were interesting, the action was incredible, and it was just the best superhero film I had seen up until that point.The performances of Robert Downey Jr., Chris Evans, Chris Hemsworth and Mark Ruffalo stood out and helped carry the film and the characters.

I liked Ruffalo as the new choice to play Bruce Banner as he brought a lot to the role. I also enjoyed the performance of Scarlett Johansson as Black Widow (not just in this film but all the other Marvel films as well) as she is able to show that she is far from a damsel in distress and instead a bonafide bad ass and great addition to the Marvel Universe. The battle scenes were great and action packed keeping audiences on the edge of their seats. The performances of all the actors brought the characters to life and this film brought so much to the superhero genre that we had not seen before. It was the perfect blend of one-liners and action it worked perfectly as the characters all worked well off each other and showed the chemistry they had as a team. It was and still is the definitive movie for any Marvel fan and I believe was the film that cemented Marvel as the dominant superhero film franchise.

The Avengers: Age of Ultron

This film, in my opinion, is the best Marvel film that has come out yet. Until I saw this, that distinction belonged to the first Avengers movie for the way it was able to blend all our favorite heroes together as well as bringing the superhero genre back to the mainstream. This film not only picked up from where the last film left off but it added even more to it. More action, more drama, even more humor. My favorite scene hast to be the one where all the other heroes are trying to lift Thor's mighty hammer and the funny way each one of them failed. This film has so much hype behind after the success of the first film and many, including myself, wondered if it would be able to top the success of the first film and in my opinion, it did that and more.

Like I said before this film had more of everything, including drama and that made this film a lot darker but also interesting than the last film. The one scene that really stands out is the scene where they all go to hide out in this cabin and at that point they had been torn apart both mentally and physically and this scene not only reminds us that the Avengers are people too but also shows us how they are all evolving as characters and shows how far the studio has come from the first Iron Man film. We learn more about these characters than we did in the last film and this makes the audience more invested in them and makes us want to see them succeed. This was a great showing by Marvel and is proof of why Marvel is in fact, the best at what they do!! Go watch it if you haven't already!!

Thankfully there have been a lot more great films than duds and I believe Marvel will be able continue riding the wave of momentum with upcoming films like Guardians of the Galaxy Vol.2 and Spider-Man: Homecoming. I am very excited as a fan to see what Marvel does next and am looking forward to seeing what they have in store!!