Quick Reaction: Titans Trade WR To Eagles

Will this help them or hurt them?

4
Yahoo

Earlier today, the Tennessee Titans made a trade that could possibly be one that they will regret in the future. Wide Receiver Dorial Green-Beckham was traded to the Philadelphia Eagles for Guard/Tackle Dennis Kelly. The 6-foot, 5-inch Missouri alumni was a second-round draft pick last year for the Titans and was supposed to be a big part of the offense this year as a deep threat for QB Marcus Mariota to throw the ball up to.

It was an exciting prospect for Titans fans like myself, who were looking forward to the offense being better this year with the additions of multiple offensive lineman, a few wide receivers, and RB DeMarco Murray, but it seems that behind closed doors, things were not going as seamlessly as we had all hoped. There were multiple reports out of Tennessee that suggested the wide-out's work ethic was not very good and that did not play well with new Head Coach Mike Mularkey and new General Manager Jon Robinson. It is understood that neither had a good relationship with Green-Beckham. So, when the opportunity presented itself, it seems that the Head Coach and General Manager tried to put the wide receiver in a better position to succeed while getting a much needed piece in return.

It was said multiple times in the offseason, and proven through the trade for DeMarco Murray and the drafting of Derrick Henry, that the Titans were going to be a run-first offense this year and go in the opposite direction of the teams in their division. That was verified in the team's first preseason game where the team rushed for three touchdowns and rushed for almost 300 yards total among the six running backs that played Saturday night. With that type of production from the run game and an mobile Quarterback under center already, it is hard to believe that the Titans will utilize their wide receivers too much this year.

Another problem that developed Saturday night was the loss of two offensive lineman to injury, which could seriously affect the run game With two OL already down,the Titans needed some depth on the line, so that they can continue to be dominant in the trenches and help their run game continue to produce big numbers.

Other than that, they already have 6 or 7 receivers that are solid and can hold the work load without Green-Beckham, one being a tall target in Justin Hunter that would have most likely beat out Dorial Green Beckham for that job anyway.

In the end, it was a move that had to be done. The GM and Head Coach did not like him and their was a need on the offensive line that they were able to take care of. Unfortunately, in a new environment and a different system, the young WR might prove to be something and make this move look like a disaster, but with all the different factors that played into this decision they had to take that risk. Right now, the team is moving in the right direction and playing to their advantages and to do that continually they needed another offensive linemen, which they got in Dennis Kelly.

It may look bad to us now, but, in my opinion, I think it helps them in the end. They have enough wide receiver depth, they needed more depth on the offensive line. They got that and made everyone happy. At first, I was livid about this deal, but after looking at the facts, it had to be done and it shows the tea is moving in the right direction, getting rid of any bad attitudes, any players that could spread their bad attitude throughout the team. It is actually good to see the Titans have a plan and stick to it and I think this move makes them better as a team, but that is just my opinion. I guess we will just have to wait until the season begins to give a verdict on this trade, but if it is like any of the moves Jon Robinson has made already, I think, as Titans fans, we will be very happy in the end.