"Pshh, You Aren't Black"

"Pshh, You Aren't Black"

Girl, you're a wigger.

59
"Pshh, You Aren't Black"
Pexels.com

There I was in my multiculturalism psychology class, and the professor addressed ethnicity and race. He then asked the class to share some examples of their culture.

"Oh, here we go," I say in my head. I always have mixed feelings about the topic of race and ethnicity. From my experiences, most people don't even know the difference between the two. There are only three races, Negroid, Caucasoid, and Mongoloid. The ethnicity aspect is way more beautiful and complex.

I am a mixed cookie. I am Italian, Dominican (an island off Bermuda) and Black. When one initially sees me, they see "white girl" or "Puerto-Rican girl." Truthfully, that doesn't bother me because that person doesn't know me. They don't know my race or ethnicity, and all they can do is assume "what I am" based on their own categorizations. It would be unreasonable for me to get angry at one's assumptions, but it is pretty frustrating.

When people look at me they don't see "black girl," especially because of my complexion, eye color, and hair. If anything, I am just a "wigger" that is trying to be "down." It's frustrating, participating in classroom discussions about multicultural issues and once I state my ethnicity, I am automatically placed in question. "Pshh, she ain't black." "She doesn't know about the struggle." "How dare she say she's black, rather than African American." "I'm offended that she acts like she knows about my struggle and is light skinned." Dang, I didn't know I am forbidden to talk about my culture, too. I may look different, but I am far from a wannabe. I am not like Miley Cyrus or Kylie Jenner trying to take "black things" and whitewash them. (Even using the phrase "black things" is problematic within itself, but that is another article). I am not Rachel Dolezal, I am black. Let's not forget, I am also Italian and Caribbean too.

I'm pretty sure if you are reading this article, you may question what I am saying. Is she really black? Where's the proof? Honestly, I am tired of having to prove my blackness. I am tired of having to show pictures of my dad in order to prove that I belong. Essentially, I am tired of people trying to strip away my identity because someone else assumes that they know who I am.

The only side of my family whom I know is my black side. It angers me that I am "not allowed" to talk about African American issues such as, how most of the men in prisons are African American and the Criminal Justice system reflects and caters to a certain group in the United States. Although I may know about issues, I can't truly understand the real "African American Experience in America."

It pains me that I habitually ruminate on this quote when I mention my ethnicity:

"The white people don't want cha and the black people don't need ya"

This happens way too often. You may say, these people are ignorant and let them be. This is true but to an extent. Unfortunately, I am an advocate in a criminal justice school, and I must challenge "those" people. Michelle Alexander stated in her book, "The New Jim Crow," that a solution to dealing with racial issues is that we can not be colorblind and need to have the tough conversations about race. I am willing to have those conversations, and as frequently as possible if need be.

So no, I may not understand what it feels like to be followed around a store or shot down because I looked suspicious, but that does not change who I am. It does not negate my experience. Luckily, I had a dad who raised me to know my history and assured me that regardless of what people say, I am who I am. I don't hate those who make these assumptions because they do not know what they do. If they are intentional about categorizing me and being rude, I simply do not have time to be concerned about them. They will realize and accept different shades of "black" when they are ready to. What I can do is be confident in my mixed-ness and keep having the tough conversations.

So here is my advice for everyone out there, not just those mixed cookies. Check all those crazy boxes on forms that feel right to you or none at all. Recognize that you are wonderful. Be aware of differences in culture and be culturally humble. It's okay to not know about someone's culture, but be willing to learn. Appreciate everyone's story. Understand that you are beautiful/handsome every day. Believe that you matter and have an insight that can not be taken away from you. Never feel you have to choose one side over the other. Duality does exist and you are living proof of it. Finally,

"Keep your head up kid. You truly are amazing."