Pros & Cons Of Being The Oldest Kid | The Odyssey Online

Pros & Cons Of Being The Oldest Kid

Being the oldest kid is not always the easiest job, but it is an amazing experience.

103
Pros & Cons Of Being The Oldest Kid
Ellie Gamache

Being a sibling is definitely a challenge. Being the oldest, that’s another story. I’ve had my struggles here and there with being the oldest of four. I’ve learned so much from being the oldest kid and have definitely grown up a lot faster than I should have. There have been moments where I wished I had an older brother to help or defend me. There have been other times where I use the oldest child card to my advantage. And I can’t forget all the times I wished I had an older sister to give me boy advice or help me in life. Every oldest child goes through the ups and downs of this experience. Here are a couple of the pros and cons of being the oldest child.

1. Getting to be your sibling’s biggest fan at their games.

Because this girl is basically me whenever one of my brothers or sister scores a goal or makes an amazing play. I mean they are your younger siblings and you want to go a little crazy when they succeed. It's just a way to show them some love.

2. Getting new clothes and giving your hand-me-downs to your siblings

3. When someone asks “Ohhhh that’s your younger brother?” and you know they don’t mean it in a good way

When you have two crazy and inappropriate younger brothers like me, you hear this way more than you should. But deep down you can't be too embarrassed because they are family after all.

4. When you accidentally act like your mom to your siblings and they react like:

I think I have heard this one way too many times, but as the oldest you have your siblings' best interests at heart.

5. Your parents have no idea what they’re doing sometimes because you’re the first child

It's not easy knowing what to do the first time around, so give your parents some credit once in a while because they're trying.

6. When you have to be responsible to set examples for your siblings

This is definitely the hardest part of being the oldest.

7. Being the first to be sent to college with little to no guidance from an older sibling

This one is a huge adjustment for your family, especially your parents. You're the first one to leave the nest and go off on your own. Sometimes they think they know what school is best for you and they are new at the whole college search and application process which leads to conflict. It gets easier I promise. If you're the second child, lucky you because they know what to expect now.

8. First to do anything with little to no guidance

9. Being the free babysitter was always the worst

"Hey, we need you to stay in to watch your brothers tonight." is code for "We're going to dinner, cancel your plans, and we aren't paying you."

10. Never wanting the youngest sibling to grow up because they will always be your baby

These are my daily thoughts whenever I try to cuddle my baby brother, who now hates me. I guess that's what younger siblings do when they get older.

11. Driving your siblings everywhere when you’re the only one with a license, which makes you feel like a mom

But You low key know that your siblings and their friends love driving with you and jamming out to music, rather than driving with your parents.

12. Your first car is probably the family minivan because you’re the oldest

And obviously you tried to make it as cool as possible.

13. “I won’t drive you if you don’t dance/sing with me right now” leverage.

It's always a valid card to play especially when they are begging you for a ride to their friends house. And eventually they get into the song and you instantly become Ross and Monica.

14. Having a mini army who will always be there to defend you no matter how much younger they are

The amount of times my younger brothers have tried to defend me and have stuck up for me against the worst people is incredible. And even though you know they really can't do anything, you know it is the thought that counts and it proves so much to you.

Even though there are so many struggles to being the oldest kid, there are so many positives. I would not trade my younger sister and brothers for the world because of how much they have impacted my life. Watching my siblings grow up has taught me so much and there is never a day where I am not there supporting them or checking in on them, which makes me love being their older sister.