Prince Fox: "A Love For Music Drives Me The Most." | The Odyssey Online

Prince Fox: "A Love For Music Drives Me The Most."

Ever heard of electronic singer-songwriter dance pop? Listen closely.

10

It is no secret that pop music is constantly evolving. After all, jazz used to be considered “pop” in the early 20th century, evolving into various forms of blues, rock, grunge and dance music. Sure, these genres still exist in their own branches and respective cultures, with heavy guitar and drums dominating their stages, but what instrument is sweeping the top 100 pop charts nowadays? You’re probably sitting in front of one right now: the computer.

Popular music is becoming increasingly influenced by the previously underground EDM (Electronic Dance Music) scene. Heavy synthesizers and booming beats dominate the style, which is often blasted at parties and raves. The EDM style shies away from any actual songwriting, but rather focuses on swells of momentum and releasing bass drops that play with the listener's expectations. But as EDM is infiltrating the charts, and therefore our car stereos and Spotify playlists, listeners still want the classic singer-songwriter story to their synths and sub basses. Looking for an artist with that exact vision? Luckily for you, Prince Fox is emerging onto the scene with a well-balanced integration of both styles.

Prince Fox was born as Sam Lassner, a New Yorker and guitar player who, in his high school days, “did the singer-songwriter thing.” It was a classic art form for him to base his roots in, but something in his vision changed when Sam attended the Electric Zoo festival. The abstract sounds of the festival inspired him to learn the art of electronic production, as he knew that mastering the elements would allow him to work more independently, accompanying, writing, producing, and mixing for himself. When Sam Lassner dedicated himself to the Prince Fox project, he made it a goal to build his electronic music on top of the songwriting foundation he’d grown on.

Fox immersed himself in his newfound craft and began by remixing previously written songs, including “How You Love Me” by 3lau ft. Bright Lights, which gained momentum on Hype Machine. His remix eventually reached #2 and received and honorable mention in a Wavo remix competition. After this recognition, he was asked to remix other songs such as Cazzette’s “Blind Heart,” and “Raindrops,” by SNBRN ft. Kerli. Fox’s “Raindrops” remix became #1 on Hype Machine and went on to exceed 1.7 million plays on Soundcloud. These accomplishments rallied the basis of his following, and soon contributed to a signed deal with Casablanca Records in late 2015.

With this deal, Prince Fox released his debut single “Wait Until Tomorrow,” a driving anthem about doing just the opposite of what the title suggests. He explains, “The lyrics are about not wanting to wait until tomorrow for fate to find you. It’s about wanting to try and find your path amidst everything. You find a way to get to your destination, whatever it may be, in an attempt to bypass restlessness all the time, and having to wait for the next piece to fall into place.”

Above the brilliant integration of songwriting and electronic dance- based music, Prince Fox shows intelligence and passion. The project name is derived from two characters of the story “The Little Prince,” from which he found an inspirational quote that explains his drive and passion for his art: “One can only see rightly with the heart. All else is invisible to the eyes.” Fox says, “That’s true about what I’m trying to accomplish. As concerned as I am with aesthetics and textures, my heart, passion, and love for music drive me the most.”

In an industry where that mindset is often misplaced, especially in the stereotyped misogynistic, party culture that accompanies EDM, it is incredibly refreshing to see an artist emerging who does it for one sole purpose: the music.