Presence Not Presents

Presence Not Presents

This year, I would rather gift presence to my loved ones.

16
Presence Not Presents
CoCo

Coming off of the Thanksgiving holiday leaves many of us still reflective of what we are thankful for in our lives. It's easy to feel good about spending time with family after eating wonderful home-cooked meals and relaxing at home. After Thanksgiving as a college student, it is back to the grind. We are getting ready for finals... ugh, and then off again for winter break... yay! The winter holidays can also bring stress for college students, especially since most of us have a constant need for money. we have learned to be thrifty by necessity. How are we ever going to money for gifts?

This holiday season, I'm going to try something different. I am going to try and bring the spirit of Thanksgiving to the gift giving of the winter holidays. I'm going to give rather than gift, and I have a feeling that it will mean a whole lot more to my loved ones.

My mother's food processor broke just last week and I was thinking about getting her a new one for Christmas, due to her love of cooking. Instead, I'm going to sit with her and slice all of the potatoes for the Au Gratin that we all love on Christmas Day. I'll happily make the pie crusts and pasta with my bare hands. She'll get my time slicing and kneading, and I know that she will love that time with me much more than a food processor.

My brother has asked for a new pair of Nike Roche's, which I might add - he already has a nice new pair. He seriously doesn't need another pair of sneakers at all. I would rather go on a walk with him and catch up on life. Since we are both in college, we have so much more to talk about. I'd rather spend quality time with my little brother than buy him another pair of shoes that he already has.

My dad never wants anything specific. That only makes shopping for him much more difficult. We can go for a hike with the dog and come home and have some hot chocolate. He loves to do things outdoors, and I know he'll be shocked and thrilled at our shared outdoorsiness.

My grandmother never wants more than a pair of socks. Seriously. So, I think that I'll go to her place, sit with her over a cup of tea and watch her knit. Maybe she can teach me how to knit a pair socks - for future homemade presents.

My step-sisters love watching movies - as does any teenage girl. I'm going to make popcorn and pick a girls movie and just enjoy it with them. I rarely see them due to distance and time together is much desired.

My boyfriend has just about everything. Due to us spending everyday together at school, I don't necessarily want to give him more time with me. Although, I would like to grant him with a phones-off evening. A night spent with movies, hot chocolate, and fuzzy blankets. No outside distractions.

There are so many ways to spend time and be present with the people I love. We are so lucky that we have a winter break from college and time to spend with our families. Being present is my present to all of them. This year, I am giving not gifting.