Pottermore Released A Patronus Quiz And It's Everything We Dreamed It Would Be | The Odyssey Online

Pottermore Released A Patronus Quiz And It's Everything We Dreamed It Would Be

At long last, Harry Potter fans can take an official quiz to discover their Patronus.

73
JKR/Pottermore Ltd. â„¢ Warner Bros.

It is the question that has vexed Harry Potter fans for years: what is my Patronus? This week, JK Rowling's Pottermore announced the release of the brand new Patronus Quiz to an ecstatic fanbase. Registered users are now able to complete an official test in order to reveal the identity of their Patronus, (approved by the Queen herself,) and it's just as magical as we dreamed it would be.

For those who may not know, a Patronus is produced when a witch or wizard performs the Patronus Charm. This charm is meant to keep Dementors at bay. Since Dementors feed on human happiness, one must use the power of his or her happiest memory in order to produce a strong Patronus. This charm will then take the form of an animal which best fits the character, spirit and mind of the witch or wizard casting it. A person's Patronus is subject to possible change if he or she experiences a major life change or tragedy, and it is often influenced by who they love.

The quiz itself is quite an experience. (PSA: Make sure to have the sound on!) Users have a moment to think of their happiest memory, and are then given choices between different concepts, actions and words. The background music and visual journey through the Forbidden Forest build suspense until the user is finally presented with the silvery, shimmering shape of their Patronus.

Many people have expressed their dissatisfaction at their perhaps less than intimidating results. At this point, I would like to remind fans that a Patronus doesn't have to be large and formidable in order to be effective. Aurthur Weasley's Patronus was a weasel, Hermione Granger's an otter, and Dolores Umbridge's a cat. In a Patronus versus Dementor fight, size doesn't matter. What matters is the strength of your happiest memory and how well your Patronus's form represents you.

As an avid fan of the Harry Potter series, I took the Patronus quiz as soon as I found out about it, *cough* during class *cough.* After embarking on this magical quest, I am proud to announce that my Patronus is a peacock. I can draw my own conclusions as to why the peacock best fits me, but I do wish there was more information about which traits one's Patronus has that may line up with the person's own character. Of course, Harry Potter fans are largely not nit-picking people, and we are overjoyed to have received this glorious gift from our Queen: JK Rowling herself.

At long last, Pottermore has a quiz for discovering one's Hogwarts House, Ilvermorny House, Patronus, and wand. Now all we need are Animagus and Boggart quizzes!