Why You Should Think About Playing Men's Volleyball | The Odyssey Online

Why You Should Think About Playing Men's Volleyball

It's at least worth a try!

1457
Google Images

Over the past few years, I have witnessed a talented program go to waste that now barely can field a team, never mind a dynasty. My high school’s men’s volleyball program has gone from consecutive league titles and 20 win seasons to first-round tournament losses and a team that can barely stay above .500. Why is that? How can a program that had 20+kids try out for their freshman team only a few years ago when I was a freshman go to not even having a freshman squad. To me, it is baffling and crazy to think to about, but it seems clear the problem. After really thinking hard about this, I have come to a few realizations. One, a lot of guys think volleyball is a sport for girls. Two, there are no men’s volleyball leagues in this country to even watch. And finally, guys don’t play volleyball growing up, they play baseball, lacrosse, etc. With that said, let me tell you why you should play men’s volleyball.

To start, volleyball is definitely not a sport just for girls. While girls are the more prominent gender in the sport, it is definitely not just for girls. Girls are able to play all through grammar school into high school and have much more experience heading into the higher level, but the games are totally different. I attend open gyms at my old coach’s current school and play with many girls who play volleyball at a high level, as well as a bunch of my guy friends. Whenever we make a diving play or a powerful kill, girls are shocked and surprised that we play this way, but that is the nature of the men’s game.

The game has an extremely high intensity and is rough, powerful, and quick. There is nothing beautiful or elegant about the men’s game. If you don’t believe me, I urge you to watch both the men’s women’s Olympic teams this year in Rio and compare them. Then tell me it is only a girl’s sport. It is not. The power and speed that these volleyballs are hit with are unbelievable and I believe you will agree with me. In a volleyball match, you have men diving all over the floor, getting balls up and setting their hitters up for a powerful kill that goes straight down. You are going to tell me that doesn’t sound fun?

I understand that football is intense, just like basketball, but volleyball is the same way! While you can’t hit anyone or even touch anyone in the sport because there is a net dividing you, the intensity goes through the roof in the most crucial matches. I am being completely honest when I say it has changed my life and has given me some of the most intense games I have ever been a part of. Every single point, every single set counts. If your team starts a game with a powerful kill that puts the crowd in shock, that could significantly change the game. If you don’t come out wanting to play from the very first serve, you will crumble. Volleyball is the first to 25, not the team who can score the most points. That is what makes it so intense. Before starting the game, you know your goal. You know you get to 25 first or lose. You can’t be off your game. With that said, volleyball is either a 3 set match or a 5 set match and the hardest part about playing the sport is coming off a huge set win and trying to carry the intensity over into the next set. For the most part, it doesn’t happen. Volleyball is a sport that has it all. It is different, unique, but certainly, does not lack excitement.

In the end, I understand that it is not an easy sport to get into, but I urge our younger generation to try because I think that you will like it. It is not what you will expect, not at all, especially in the men’s game, but that’s the best part. And if you do end up playing, I am sure you will shock many of your friends when you show them what the sport is actually like. If they think the sport is girly, then ask them to come watch you or watch a clip on YouTube. No doubt, they will be shocked at what they see. Volleyball is an awesome sport and I do not know what I would do without it. It makes me upset seeing the program that shaped a lot of my life continue to fall, but that could change along with the common perception of volleyball around the country and hopefully that starts with this article. I am not asking you to share this passion with me, I am asking you to give it a try. I understand that some will not like it, but I think that most will because I was in your shoes before I started playing. So if you are looking for a sport to play, take that leap! Try volleyball! Because if your experience is anything like mine and those I played with, you won’t regret it for one second.