The Playlist Pushing Me Through This Semester

All inspiring tracks, both old and new.

11
tumblr.com

As April drags along, it is easy to let this busy month get you down. However, music, as with most things, helps a great deal. It can provide you with a shoulder to cry on, a pick-me-up, or maybe a source of muse. The following playlist has been a key survival tool for me during this end of the semester madness.

1. Let ‘em in- Paul McCartney

I usually listen to this while I’m doing some homework or trying to calm down at the end of a hectic day. Paul’s calm voice running through a smooth melody supported by a funky background is soothing and simplistic; just what the busy college student’s schedule calls for.

2. Heart of Glass- Blondie

What better way to travel to class than with some upbeat 80’s background music? I’m already rocking’ the messy bed head, might as well have the tracks to back it up. It pumps me up for what is otherwise a dreaded, and quite full, class schedule.

3. Life on Mars- David Bowie

This song takes me through those mid-afternoon blues, Bowie always gets it. Listening to him belt it all out is about as satisfying as screaming into a pillow.

4. Stressed Out- Twenty One Pilots

Yes, the radio has overplayed this one. However, I still think it’s a great track and tells the very relatable story of what growing up is really like. Also, this group has a very unique and interesting sound for their genre and is always picking me up.

5. The Rocky Horror Picture Show Soundtrack

Yes, the entire soundtrack! I usually listen to this in the morning as I put off putting actual clothes on. Every song on this track is jam-worthy and puts me in the perfect, quirky mood to take on the day with.

6. Love Grows (Where My Rosemary Goes)- Edison Lighthouse

This one is the best example of an “oldie but goodie” on this playlist. Rosemary is a character who is not only accepted but adored for her messy hair, being broke, and funny clothing. What’s not to love? This uplifting song can make the sunny days shine a little brighter and the cloudy ones a bit more bearable.

7. Mowgli’s Road- Marina and the Diamonds

Marina’s one-of-a-kind voice rings through this song coolly and inspires me to be creative.

8. Crazy- Cee Lo Green

Right now, towards the end of the semester, everything is starting to catch up to us. It can make everyone feel overwhelmed, desperate- maybe even a little crazy? Cee Lo really understands the frustration and provides an outlet for all of us. If you’re still feeling some angst, follow it up with “Forget You”, if that doesn’t help you… you might need a nap.

9. With A Little Help From My Friends- The Beatles

Ringo is adorable and enduring in this sweet track that causes the listener to really appreciate their friends. I can’t remember how many times a friend’s kind words and support have helped push me through those all-night study sessions, last minute essays, and all the other seeming endless stresses that come along with the end of a semester. For all of you, and you know who you are, I tribute this song.

10. Hold On- Wilson Phillips

I had a close family member send this song to me during what was a very stressful day- and it did the trick. It’s the sort of cheesy, pick-me-up that we all need sometimes.

11. #13 Pillow Talking- Lil Dicky

This last one is just for a good laugh. It is not family-friendly, but it serves as a hilarious study break during an all-nighter with some friends.