The 8 Best Places To Study On UW-Madison's Campus

Find your perfect study spot to be productive.

982
Pexels.com

Let’s be real; nobody likes studying. Nothing is worse than sitting in your boring dorm room alone or trying to do homework in your apartment’s kitchen getting distracted by your roommates.

As a freshman new to the University of Wisconsin-Madison’s campus, I am always on the lookout for new, exciting study spots. After adventuring all first semester, I have discovered a few places that I found pleasing to accomplish all my schoolwork.

Here is a compiled list of my favorite study spots on campus that I recommend.

1. The classic: College Library

You can grab a hot coffee and sandwich at the Open Book Cafe located inside the library and grab a table or study room right next to a beautiful view of Lake Mendota. College is one of the biggest libraries on campus, with multiple floors of spaces to settle down and get work done. There are both quiet areas and more talkative areas to choose from if you like either silent or noisier spots to study. I personally like to come here after class to do my homework.

2. Aesthetically pleasing: Upperhouse

Upperhouse was my sanctuary during finals week last semester. Located on East Campus Mall, Upperhouse is usually a church but opens up as study rooms free for students to use afterward. They offer free snacks, and it looks so aesthetically pleasing with hanging couches and study cocoons. This place makes for a great snapchat story.

3. Food and studying: The Terrace

If you’re looking for a delicious lunch or dinner but still want to get work done, The Terrace is the perfect spot for you. The locally famous bright chairs and amazing lake view provide the prettiest spot to relax while also getting work done. The Terrace is a more talkative area, and sometimes in the evening, local bands will perform for the audience. During the warmer seasons, The Terrace is perfect for studying outside, but when Wisconsin’s brutal winte rolls around, it also offers many areas to study inside at Memorial Union as well.

4. Artsy: The Discovery Building

Not many people know about this one. The Discovery Building is beautiful with sunlight seeping in through the glass walls and greenery inside. This building offers quiet tables to study at without feeling like you’re in a dim library. It also has fun activities inside for a quick study break, such as interactive light and sound displays.

5. The closest you'll ever get to Hogwarts: The Historical Society Library

The Wisconsin Historical Society library looks like it came straight from a "Harry Potter" movie. It offers long wooden tables with eye-catching green lamps and a stunning detailed ceiling. This library is completely silent, so if you really need to get that paper done, there will be no distractions here.

6. Good view good food: The Education Building

I personally love coming here after or in between classes to grab a snack or coffee at the cafe located inside the Education Building, and then sitting down in front of a huge window facing the lake to complete some schoolwork. This area is usually not super busy or loud, and allows you to focus on your homework. This building is right on Bascom Hill with bright red doors, so you can’t miss it.

7. Hipster vibes: any coffee shop

Walk down State Street and pick from the plethora of coffee shops to study in. On just one street you could order a drink and study to indie music inside Starbucks, Colectivo, Fair Trade Coffee House, Espresso Royale, or more. My favorite coffee shop is Colectivo because of its pretty decorating. Alone or with friends, this is a calming environment to finally finish that chemistry report that you’ve been meaning to get around to.

8. Pretending to be an adult: The Law Library

This is another one of my favorites. I love studying in the Law Building because not only is it quiet with big tables and a sunny window, but all of the law students in there make me feel more like a productive adult. I can pretend I too am a law student, and somehow feel smarter and more motivated to study and get an A on that test next week.

Freshly equipped with the knowledge of all these new study areas, we can now avoid studying in the boring dorms and actually get our stuff done!