14 Places To Eat In Richmond When You're Bored Of Your Favorites

Richmond is a "foodie's" heaven.

105
PhotoShelter

I love to go out to eat. I love finding places, new and old, where I can fill my belly with some tasty food. However, websites like Yelp and TripAdvisor have always seemed to lead me astray, either with high ratings for restaurants I did not like, or with ridiculously pricy options. So I have compiled here a list of some of my favorites (in no particular order) in my hometown of Richmond and the surrounding counties!

1. Azzurro Restaurant

Azzurro has been one of my favorite spots for as long as I can remember. I do not believe I have ever had a bad meal at this restaurant. Both the food and the service are delightful. Another perk of this restaurant is that if you request a different sauce on your pasta, or wish for a particular item to not come on your pizza, the wait staff and kitchen staff will be sure to make it happen. Azzurro is a delicious dining experience less than a mile from the University of Richmond campus!

2. Buz and Ned's

As a southern gal, I have always been a tremendous fan of barbecue. The Richmond area is filled with yummy restaurants to fill one's craving for this southern treat. However, Buz and Ned's has always been my favorite out of all of them. The barbecue is phenomenal, the sides are to die for, and the atmosphere is delightful. The spacious Broad Street location is great for holding large groups, and the Boulevard Location is right in the heart of the city. You really can't go wrong with anything on the menu.

3. The Midlothian Apothecary

Ever since I was pretty much born, I have been eating at the Midlothian Apothecary. This drug store counter has quite a history; it used to be a post office! It is located directly across the street from Midlothian Middle School, so the crowd is always an eclectic mix; you can see everything from students, to teachers, to families, to those just stopping for a fountain soda after picking up their prescription. One thing that remains constant, however, is the people who are there. I always spy a familiar face every time I go, whether it be behind the counter or in a cozy booth in the back. Here's a pro tip: the milkshakes are delicious. Make sure to get one, you won't regret it!

4. Kuba Kuba

Kuba Kuba has been a Richmond favorite for years. Its location in The Fan has made it convenient to pretty much any neighborhood in the Richmond area. The decor gives this restaurant a unique vibe and the casual setting makes this spot a great place for families and couples alike. However, keep in mind that the portions are quite large! Every time I have gone, I have always split a dish with someone, and have still never gone hungry.

5. Stuzzi

Stuzzi is famous for being a vendor of pizza Napoletana. Neapolitan pizza is made with very specific ingredients, and has to be approved by a council from Italy. But I do not need the Italian's approval for me to know that this pizza is good. In the traditional Neapolitan fashion, the pizza is cooked for only 60 to 90 seconds, so as long as there isn't a large crowd, your pizza will be out lickidy-split. However, if delectable pizza is not your forte, there are also pasta options on the menu.

6. Toast

Toast is one of my favorite brunch spots in all of Richmond. And honestly, I am so picky with my brunch. This is one of the only spots in the whole city that me and my whole family can agree on. Options on the brunch menu range everywhere from burgers and truffle fries to biscuits n gravy and literally everything in between. Whether it is the "Br-" half or the "-Unch" half you are craving, you really can't go wrong. However, this spot is not just for brunch. The lunch and dinner options are phenomenal as well. For those of age, Toast offers 17 beers, 9 wines and over 30 bourbons available for your drinking satisfaction.

7. La Cucina

Tucked away in the corner at The Shoppes at Bellgrade in Midlothian, La Cucina is one of my favorite pizza/pasta spots. You have your choice of practically a million different varieties of pasta noodles and sauces to choose from, in addition to a whole host of other things on the menu. For the lovers of food from the sea, there is a whole section of the menu dedicated to seafood options. In addition, the portions are quite large, so I always am able to enjoy my meal for a few days after I go, as I have so many leftovers. This spot is a hidden gem!

8. Jack Brown's Beer and Burger Joint

Not exclusively a Richmond restaurant, but still a great one to mention. Located conveniently at Libby and Grove, it is a spot frequented by South-Siders and West-Enders alike. You can order literally three food items and one dessert: hamburgers, grilled cheese, french fries and fried Oreos. However, all of these things can be made in a great variety of ways; there is something for everyone. With each day comes a new special hamburger, ranging everywhere from the JJ Caprese, made like a Caprese salad (complete with Balsamic), to the Showalter, complete with bacon and a doughnut as bun. This spot has additional locations in Harrisonburg, Roanoke and Charlottesville, amongst others, so you out-of-towners can enjoy a Jack Brown burger as well!

9. The Roosevelt

This brunch-and-dinner spot in Church Hill is one you won't want to miss. Their southern style cuisine is some of the best food in Richmond. The cozy-chic decor is incredibly welcoming, but that is just the beginning. They serve a variety of comfort foods, including corn bread, cheese grits, roasted catfish, and my favorite, fried chicken. Any day that I make it over to The Roosevelt is a good day.

10. Candela's

Candela's is the kind of restaurant that makes you feel good. In this popular Midlothian spot, you could see everything from a little league baseball team for a team dinner after their big win, to an older couple enjoying a night out to dinner. This pizza spot is one that I love to love. The pizza is scrumptious, the staff are friendly and consistent, and just the general atmosphere is incredibly special. From the time I was a young child until now, Candela's has always been a family favorite.

11. Nuevo Mexico

This Mexican spot is a favorite for groups large and small. I literally went there once with my entire graduating middle school class. However, the size of the restaurant in no way compromises the food's taste. The menu is basically a book, and you can order practically any Mexican dish you desire and it is bound to taste good. For those of age, I hear they make a mean frozen margarita. This is a great place to go for consistently tasty, but not quite authentic, Mexican food.

BONUS... Desserts!

12. Sugar Shack

Probably one of the most delicious things I have ever put in my mouth is a Sugar Shack doughnut. They come in practically every flavor, and the flavors change all day. I brought these back for my friends of school and they were gone in two minutes, and everyone was saying these were the best doughnuts they had ever eaten. These giant, fluffy treats are some of the best of their kind. They are known across the country for being the creme of the crop. There are multiple locations scattered around the Richmond area, ranging from right outside VCU on Lombardy Street, to the West End on Parham Road, to the Midlothian area on Huguenot Road. These treats are convenient regardless of where you live in the Richmond area, and well-worth a trip if you aren't!

13. Boyer's

A great gelato spot with a mission. This shop was created with the purpose of supporting a local family's child who has special needs. In addition to serving this great ambition, the cold treats are some of the best in the area. The creamy gelato comes from both Gelati Celesti, another Richmond favorite, and Palazzo's Gelato. Regardless of what flavor you get, you are bound to be satisfied. My personal favorite is the Rainbow Cookie gelato, which features crushed up rainbow cookies from Ukrop's Bakery. This Libby and Grove joint is one sure to tantalize your tastebuds.

14. Shyndigz

A sit-down restaurant devoted exclusively to desserts? Sounds like a dream come true! It definitely is one for me. Located just outside of Carytown, Shyndigz is a cozy cafe bound to make your mouth water. The rotating menu of gigantic, elaborate cakes, brownies and pies are some of the greatest things both to look at and to taste. This is a great spot for a girls night out, a celebration with the family, or a sweet dessert date.