Why We Need to Pay Attention to Climate Change
Politics

This issue will only intensify if we turn a blind eye to the matter

505
NASA

On June 1, 2017, President Trump announced that the U.S. would be withdrawing from the Paris Climate Agreement. The Paris Agreement developed as an effort to tackle the issue of climate change globally, with each country stepping up to the plate with its national contributions. For instance, one of the objectives of the deal calls for its members to maintain the rise in global temperature at or below 2 degrees Celsius, and even potentially reduce it to a 1.5 degree change. Though ambitious, the agreement also pushes for the global effort to respond to climate change by implementing an efficient financial and technological framework for the countries involved and extending this effort to developing nations as well as at-risk nations (UN Framework Convention on Climate Change, 2017).

Despite the efforts of world leaders and scientists with years of expertise on the matter, the U.S. has still chosen to undermine the detrimental impact of climate change. In a report released by NOAA (National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration) called “Global and Regional Sea Level Rise Scenarios for the United States”, the organization articulated the clear concern and evidence of a rising sea level in the coastal regions. According to their data, the sea level rise can range from between 1 foot to 8 feet by the end of the century, significantly impacting the northeast and the Gulf. The part that particularly stood out to me is the impact that sea level rise can have not only in terms of issues surrounding transportation or flooding but also of those involving human health and safety. A report published by Florida Atlantic University titled “Sea Level Rise in South Florida: Impacts to Drinking Water and Human Health” even states that “South Florida’s drinking water supply will be compromised and as a result, human health will become more susceptible to the exposure of waterborne diseases…water shortages that may arise due to saltwater intrusion will place intensified economic stress on local communities, contributing to mental health disorders” (Weisner, 2014). NASA also presents evidence of global warming using different indicators. One of the sources of evidence is the data on global temperature rise due to increased carbon emissions in the atmosphere. On average, the surface temperature of the planet has increased by approximately 2.0 degrees Fahrenheit since the beginning (late 19th century) and the past 35 years have culminated in record- breaking temperatures. In fact, the year 2016 marked the warmest temperatures for an 8 month period. Another sign of evidence lies in data and satellite pictures proving the presence of a decline in arctic sea ice and of glacial retreat. Over the past few decades, the arctic sea ice thickness and coverage has decreased dramatically. Additionally, glaciers are retreating in different places around the world, such as the Alps and the Himalayas. The impact is so significant that satellite pictures even show that the snowcap on Mount Kilimanjaro is disappearing (NASA, Global Climate Change).

It is important that we take note of this growing global concern. Chiding the data and the reports posed by scientists will not benefit the population and can lead to severe problems down the road. As an established leader in the developed world, the U.S. should play a role in the battle against climate change. Research has shown that the U.S. continues to be one of the countries producing the highest world carbon dioxide emissions, coming only second to China. However, even in the presence of a globalized world economy, responsibility and blame can easily be shifted. For instance, China appears to currently take the place of the world’s leading greenhouse gas emitter, but this argument does not have good implications for other western nations hiding behind this data. In other words, China’s greenhouse footprint is a direct result of high consumption in the western nations, including the U.S (Center for Biological Diversity). As a result, our nation needs to step up to the plate, pay attention to these findings, and prioritize climate change because this issue will only intensify if we turn a blind eye to the matter.