Past, Current, and Future Teammates, Here's to you

You'll forget the plays, the shots, and the scores, but you'll never forget your teammates.

24

Growing up, I have been on numerous teams, involved in different sports. Age levels separated people you had started the game you loved with, and tryouts brought new faces onto the roster every year. You grew close with specific individuals that you were lucky enough to play with for more than one season. Travel teams brought in girls from all over the state, in some cases like mine, driving an hour and a half just for practice. But you did it. Because you loved your team, you loved the game, and the end goal was always to play in college. Saying goodbye to these individuals, was the hardest thing you've ever had to do, as everyone traveled to different states to join a new team.

It's scary to start a brand new with a team full of inside jokes you know nothing about, dynamics that vary, a new way practices and warms up run, and just the fact of being away from the familiar is daunting. However, I was lucky enough to become a part of a group of individuals who have not only become teammates but who I can call family.

So, I know I don't say it enough, but here's a few thank you notes to the team I'm so lucky to be a part of.

Thank you for reminding me of the locker comb every time I forgot it

Even after the 100th time and at weird hours of the day

Thank you for sharing your food with me even if it was your last granola bar

Because this is college and I'm broke, and I forgot to pack my own

Thank you for pushing me to work out during the offseason

May we always remember the beyond tight pants of 2014

...And Then stuffing your face with me post workout

Because we can always move up a size in pants

Thank you for taking care of me while I was injured or sick

Only real friends will spend their break in an urgent care or bring a care package across campus during our one day of spring break

Thank you for waking me up during morning practice

And not holding it against me when I was late to my first ever college practice...Even after you all had to run

Thank you for dragging me out of the basement of the library during finals to clear my head

When I was seriously questioning giving up, you promised things do get better

...And then helping me study all night even though you had an 8 am the next day

All-nighters aren't so bad when you're with your best friends

Thank you for letting me text the group message numerous times (completely ignoring group message etiquette)

Because waking up to 20 unread text messages is the sincerest form of endearment I can think of

Thank you for being my cheerleader in all aspects of life

Even for the little things like wearing the right practice uniform

...And correcting me when I did something wrong

Because that's the only reason I've truly grown as a player and as an individual

Thank you for still loving me even, after all, the embarrassing things I have done

And loving me when I didn't even love myself

Thank you for giving me pep talks before games

Sometimes the nerves take over

...And having real life talks after the game

Because sometimes there are bigger problems were dealing with, then the errors we made

Thank you for standing up for me

When I had forgotten how to

Thank you for celebrating are victories

I play for the moments like this

...and mourning our losses

Because the matching somber expressions always say more than words ever could

Thank you for making me a better athlete

Always reminding me to play, like I won't be able to play tomorrow

Thank you for making me a better, and more rounded, person

Because I would be lucky to be like any one of you

Thank you for not just being my teammates

We may have been forced to play together, but no one forced us to be friends...

And by the end, Family

Just Thanks.

Being a part of a team can be hard, when the growing up part separates teammates, as they travel into the real world. However, I don't believe anything could ever truly separate family, no matter the years and miles in between.

Ps: Thank you for allowing me to be cheesy and sentimental.