Our Neighbors Are Drowning

Our Neighbors Are Drowning

A disaster many are ignoring in our own back yard.

9
Our Neighbors Are Drowning
NBC 12 News

The South... A place of front porch sitting and "southern hospitality". A place where everyone knows your name, and everyone is your neighbor. The Southern United States has somewhat earned the "kindhearted" reputation. With this being so, why is it that our "neighbors" are literally drowning and we're standing by aimlessly watching.

You may, or may not have watched the news recently or heard people talking about a state very close to our own which is under water. A few weeks ago Louisiana got hit with one of the worst rains in history. This disaster was said to be the worst since Hurricane Sandy with one town, Livingston Parish receiving more than 31 inches of rain in 15 hours. In a week Louisiana received 6,900,000,000,000 gallons of rain. That many zeros means trillion. Currently, if you type that number and do a Google image search, you will see pictures of the destruction in Louisiana.

Homes, schools, prisons, shops. You name it, it was under water. Thousands of homes were destroyed. I have a few friends who visited a town called Denham Springs to assist in flood relief measures there. Seeing the things they posted about the town were heartbreaking. There is such a need. I am angered because there is no one talking about this. I personally asked a friend if she had heard or seen anything about Louisiana and her response was "What happened in Louisiana"? These are our neighbors. These are actual people with actual homes that have been destroyed. They are drowning and people don't even know about it. These are the things we need to be talking about, beacuse relief for Louisiana is a worthy cause to put your time and money towards. This is a heart breaking disaster and these people still need help and support to get through this and to recover.

Here is the facebook for Christ Community Church: https://www.facebook.com/Christs-Community-Church-...

They are and have been housing families, giving out food, and helping with relief in their Community. You can view pictures and see what they are doing, also you can reach out to them about what they need and how they need aid.

http://www.nola.com/weather/index.ssf/2016/08/bato...

Another link with many options to help such as: how to donate by mail, or where to donate certain items. There are also links to help animal shelters in need.

I understand that we are states away. Its hard to drop everything and head to Louisiana and help. But, you can give of your funds or extra items to Charities in order to help those in need.

The main way to help is to get the word out. Read the headlines, research what is happening and talk about it. Make light of hard situations and open your eyes to things that are going on right next to you. You never know when something tragic could happen right here and we would be the ones asking for relief. Our neighbors are drowning and we need to be the ones that do something other than scream at them to learn how to swim.