Otterbein University, I Miss You | The Odyssey Online

Otterbein University, I Miss You

This is the first summer I've spent away from Otterbein and as each day passes, I miss you more and more.

70
Otterbein University, I Miss You
Karen Crenshaw

Sitting in my room at my apartment on Ithaca College's campus in Ithaca, New York in the middle of the summer, in the middle of my internship at the Hangar Theatre has made me really nostalgic and homesick for the place I've called home the last 3 1/2 years. If you would've told me that a few years ago I'd be saying I'm homesick for college, homesick for the middle of Ohio, I would've laughed in your face. But right now, sitting in this beautiful place I'm more homesick than ever for the place that has and will continue to shape me into the person I am. I love my quiet peaceful village, and there are so many wonderful things about this place that make it home. I am so excited to get back to this wonderful place and spend my last 15 weeks with some of the most beautiful people in the world. But until then, here's a list of the things I miss most about my beautiful campus.

1. The Towers' Bells singing us the Otterbein Love Song.

Every hour on the hour, we get reminded daily of Otterbein's love for us when the Tower's Bells go off signaling the new hour. It's a gentle reminder that I'm surrounded by the peacefulness that is the campus, but also a way of giving me some sort of hope for whatever's happening in the day to come. It's one of the things that ties the Otterbein community together, and I oddly miss hearing them from my apartment window every single morning.

2. Schneider's Donut Runs.

Let's be real, easily the best reason to stay up past 1 a.m. during the weekday, and on Saturday's. My favorite thing during the entire school year is to go with my friends at 1 a.m. and wait in line for a fresh donut and a carton of chocolate milk for a $1.25. It's an Otterbein tradition that I cannot wait to get back to come August.

3. Westerville Grill brunches on Sunday.

My friend Arri and I's tradition is going to the grill for brunch on Sunday. We normally do this after being a part for a break or if we've gone a long time without seeing each other. But let's be real, the grill is wonderful anytime of the year, day, night, etc. It's lovely going in and seeing familiar faces and getting incredible food at a reasonable price. (and hey that Otterbein discount though).

4. Graeter's Ice Cream runs late at night.

Though it's not a common occurrence, there have been many a Graeter's Ice Cream run in the evenings, after school, in between classes, and on the weekends. There's nothing more soothing to the soul than a scoop of raspberry chocolate chip ice cream to hit the spot. I love coming with friends, or alone and I'm so excited to be back within walking distance of my quiet peaceful village.

5. The professors.

Each professor I've encountered while at Otterbein -- whether it be within my major/department, or outside of my department in my INST classes, they all have made some sort of impact on my life. Whether it was the lessons they taught us (Never Settle), the things they provided for us, the path they paved for us, being there to guide us through our discoveries, self-changes, supporting us in our highs and lows, there have been countless people who have impacted my life for the better. I've never had a group of professors impact my life so much through their profession. Each professor has changed my life by making me think in a different manner, and I couldn't be more thankful to them for that.

6. The students.

The people I've met in my time at Otterbein have undoubtedly, all impacted my life. During my freshman year, I entered quite literally, the darkest time of my life. Without the support and love of every single person who commented, supported and loved me through that time, I wouldn't be sitting here today writing this article for you. They have taught me things I never thought possible. They showed me things that I never thought I could see. They opened my eyes to new experiences, and gave me a new way of seeing things. They taught me how to love myself more, appreciate a good heart-to-heart, communicate openly, and most importantly, how to be present in the moment. I love all of you (especially those in Otterbein University Department of Theatre and Dance Class of 2017) with all my heart. I couldn't be more in love with you guys, and I'm so sad this is our last semester together.

7. The community.

I've never been a part of something quite like Otterbein University. Being centrally located in a beautiful neighborhood of Westerville has it's advantages. The people surrounding our school make the school. And the students and the faculty make our school. We come together to cheer each other on in our sport activities, rally around those who face diversity, stand together as one in the face of adversity, help each other through the ups, the downs, celebrate our triumphs, laugh and cry at what we see on Otterbein stages, and revel in our alumni doing incredible things. The community Otterbein has created will follow me now until the day I die, and I couldn't be more happy to have a set in support system at the ready.

8. The campus.

This list could go on and on, but the thing I miss the most is the campus atmosphere. While not big at all, the quiet and peacefulness of this beautiful place is one of the most exciting things to me. I love being able to walk around at night feeling completely secure. I love walking in the breezeway at the front of Towers, across to the library and being greeted by familiar faces. I love the ladies at the bean who know my order before I even have to tell them. I love the old ladies who bring around their dogs, and I love Ann in the nest. These things make our campus, and it makes me feel so much more at home than I could've ever imagined.

Otterbein has and will forever have a special place in my heart. I couldn't picture my life without this quiet village, and I'm more than ready to get back to spend my last 15 weeks on campus amidst the craziness that is Otterbein. You have my heart now and forever, you quiet peaceful village. Keep on being wonderful, and don't ever change.

Love you long time, Otterbein.