An Open Letter To My Sorority Sisters | The Odyssey Online

An Open Letter To My Sorority Sisters

There's tons of sororities out there, but you all have them beat.

26
An Open Letter To My Sorority Sisters
Jennifer Connell

Dear sorority sisters,

First of all, thank you. The amount of love I have felt from you this past semester is unreal. When I was in high school, I swore that I wouldn’t become a sorority “girl”, but you showed me that being a sorority “woman” was a lot more fun. I knew instantly that my home was with you ladies. The very first social was first semester of my freshmen year and you were handing out ice-cream. If I had to be honest, I only went for the ice cream but ended up running into someone and when I started to talk to her, I felt a genuine sense of care from her. It's funny because I left without ice cream. I went straight to my room and called my mom and told her that I want to go Greek next semester when I was able to. Having one conversation with someone ended up helping me make a decision that would positively affect my future.

The hard part of knowing I wanted to go Greek was having to wait 4-5 months to actually go through the process. I was able to go to open socials in that time period, but hated when the socials ended that I would have to go back to my dorm room and feel alone. During my first semester I went through a phase where I felt so alone that I wanted to go home. If I didn’t find your sisterhood during my first semester, I would still feel alone.

Finally after first semester and winter break ended, I knew I only have about 4 weeks until I was finally able to go through the process to find my home. I went to numerous open socials that you all had planned, but for other sororities as well. I remember going to one open social and just hanging out with you ladies the whole night and it wasn’t even your social! As time progressed, all my friends and I talked about was recruitment. “Do you know where you're going yet?” was the biggest question asked. I had my eyes on this sorority for a long time, but wanted to have an awesome experience going through recruitment week. I decided to be open-minded and I could not be happier that I did. I met ladies in other sororities that have such amazing personalities and are beautiful on the inside and out!

Thursday night of recruitment week was preference night and I had two parties that night. Your party was my last party for the night and you made me bawl like a baby! I always had a feeling of home when I was around all of you ladies, but that night was even more special. Anyone that knows me knows that I am a huge softy, but I rarely cry. Finally Friday morning came and I was so ecstatic to find out the ladies that I loved, loved me back! That whole day was full of looking down when I walked by any of you all and awkward seating in class. I wasn’t able to look at anyone of you ladies because if I did, I would probably just start smiling out of excitement. I might have even done the little eyebrow raise because every night that week you had the power but for once, the ball was in my court.

Friday night could not have come quicker and I ran home! That was probably the best feeling I have had in a long time. That night I gained 60 woman who would have my back no matter what the circumstances were. I met some of my biggest mentors and best friends thanks to you. Even seniors who graduated keep in constant contact with me to make sure I am doing alright.

I will always have every single one of your backs and just know I will always be here for any random vent sessions or you just need a shoulder to cry on. I promise to not just tell you what you WANT to hear, but what I feel like you all need to hear. I also promise to not judge you in those times where it feels like everyone around you is. I love you so much and can't be happier with my decision.

So, thank you. Thank you for being my sisters, but more importantly thank you for being my friends.

So much love for all of you.