An Open Letter To The Woman Who Was More Than Just A Dance Teacher

The many 'thank yous' to my dance teacher of 17 years.

27
Jeanna Kehl

Everyone has at least one influential person that walks into their life. Some people have a super successful uncle, a guidance counselor from high school or even a world leader. I have you. You didn't just walk into my life, you jetéd right into it. I am extremely blessed to have met my influential person at such a young age. That's something others can't necessarily say. Clearly, at four-years-old, I didn't have a single clue just how important you'd be to me. I am eternally grateful for the family you provided me with, and the many lessons you taught me inside and outside of the dance studio.

First of all, thank you for teaching me that it's okay to fall, as long as you stand right back up. I remember countless times of literally falling in the studio because of a new pair of tap shoes, or when I was trying to nail that double turn on pointe. I felt embarrassed then, but you made sure I knew that falling only makes you stronger. People make mistakes, it's totally normal. Instead of letting those mistakes hinder me, you taught me how to let them push me forward to succeed.

Thank you for giving me the confidence I might not have found otherwise. Throughout grade school and high school, I always struggled with being confident and believing in myself, but being at the studio and on stage was a whole different story. You saw the potential within me that I personally couldn't find. You allowed me to be me when no one else accepted that. While performing, poise, strength and confidence within yourself is needed to execute a beautiful piece of choreography. With that, you taught me the same poise, strength and confidence is needed to execute a beautiful life. Your support of my choices while dancing through the early parts of life was the mold to the confidence I now have today.

Thank you for showing me it is okay to ask for help. Whether it's with a tricky combination or a tricky part of life, you were always there when I needed it most, and you still are. The best way to learn is by doing. If something is being done wrong, but help isn't sought out, it is going to continuously be done wrong. You always let me know when I had a bit of choreography confused, even when I was confident I had it right. You're not afraid to dish out constructive criticism to anyone when it's needed, which is something I admire. There is always room for improvement; you never let me forget that.

Lastly, Thank you for providing me with a second family and home. While dancing at the studio, I always felt like it was my home because I was there four or more days a week, and my classmates were like my family because I saw them a plethora of times throughout the week. After I went to college, I was afraid I was going to lose that part of me. My "last" dance recital was difficult because I felt like I was leaving my family and home behind. I may have moved forward in life, but you always welcome me home with open arms. You made me realize that home truly resides where the heart is. Even though I physically left the dance studio, my heart is fully present every day. Since I've been in college, I've felt closer to my dance family than ever before. You've provided me and the rest of your dancers with a unique support system that we certainly wouldn't have gained anywhere else.

I am so grateful for my years at the studio. I honestly could write a novel on how you've positively impacted me and so many others. Dance has fully transformed my life into something beautiful, and I owe that all to you. I wouldn't be the woman I am today if I had not stepped foot in the dance studio all those years ago. With all that being said, thank you.