Advice to the current students of West York High | The Odyssey Online
Education

An Open Letter To The Current Students Of West York Area High School

Take your time to enjoy your schooling.

138
personal photo

To the current students of West York High,

My name is Emma. I'm an alumnus of good ole West York High who graduated in 2016.

To all you seniors, cherish this last year. Don't get senioritis too early, once you're gone you may regret not taking the time to enjoy it. You, seniors, were freshmen when I was a senior at West York. Some of you are my best friends.

To all the juniors, you're going to be okay. Junior year was probably one of the most stressful years I had at West York. Mainly because of the graduation project. If you still have to complete that, here is some advice. Take a deep breath, talk to your GP advisor(s) and don't be afraid to ask for help, and remember that as long as you do your work you'll be fine.

To all the sophomores, you're not the new kids on the block anymore. I encourage you to help out a freshman or two. They're new to the school so they really don't know where they're going at first. Be that friendly face. Imagine that someone helped you out your freshman year, be that person. You don't have to be their best friend, but having a friendly face to show you around can be a great thing. Remember that you know what they're going through because you just went through it.

To all the freshman, high school is a big change. Coming from the middle school where all your classes are in the same area of two floors to having to trek from one end of the building to the other in five minutes is a change. Don't let it scare you. You will make it to class. Try figuring out where your classes are in relation to your locker.

Don't be afraid to make friends with older students. Many of you freshman were in the sixth grade ELA class with Mrs. Gay when I was an intern. Remember that if you need help with anything let me know and I am sure I can try to help.

To all the current students of West York High, don't take your time here for granted. I so desperately wanted to get out of high school so I could go to college and then begin my life as a teacher. Now all I want is to be back in the walls and halls of West York High, taking classes with the best teachers in the world, and not having a care in the world.

Don't get me wrong, college is great and I have made friends that will last for a lifetime, but college isn't always all it's cracked up to be.

So, yeah, I have breaks in between classes… but don't get breaks in between classes and breaks confused. A break in between classes could be one to three or more hours, but it's not the time for doing absolutely nothing. Those break times are heaven-sent time to catch up on homework you couldn't finish or to get ahead. You are almost always swamped with classwork.

Yeah, I only have certain classes every other day. Think of it this way; you have a gym and your health class every other day. On the days you have gym, you still have to get your homework done for health the next day. In college, it's health and gym every day for five total classes.

You think you've finished your homework for the next day and then you remember that you have something else due. Or you finish what's due for your Monday, Wednesday, Friday classes and then remember you have a bunch to do for your Tuesday, Thursday classes. It is an endless sea of homework.

High school I such a simple time, where you know exactly what will be due the next day. Another thing about high school, especially West York High School, is that the teachers there are the absolute best. In college, depending on where you go, you could have a lecture class of a hundred or more students, which means that your professor really won't know who you are.

At West York, our teachers take the time to get to know their students and they actually care about you. That is something that is almost lost in college. There are a few teachers I still have contact with from West York, and whenever we talk the first thing they ask me is how I am doing. The teachers at West York aren't just there to teach you and leave, they are there because they love their job and they enjoy their students.

Another thing to cherish in high school is your friendships. In high school, you can see your friends every single day. In college, your friends go to other schools. You may grow apart and ultimately stop talking altogether. Cherish your time with your friends, because soon you won't get to see them every single day.

When I was in high school all I wanted to do was leave so I could begin my life. When I got to my senior year that all changed. While many of my fellow seniors had senioritis since day one, I didn't want to leave the place that held so many memories. I wanted to stay in high school forever just so I could continue to be in the band, choir, musicals, cheerleading squad, and to keep having the wonderful teachers who meant so much to me. Never forget the time you spend at West York.

West York High, West York High, you're very dear to me.

Your happy days are passing by

But thoughts of thee will never die

With all thy glory 'ere before us

Our praises we will sing

West York High, West York High you're very dear to me.