An Open Letter To The Roommate Back In Boland Whose Mattress I Stole | The Odyssey Online

An Open Letter To The Roommate Back In Boland Whose Mattress I Stole

Thank you for being my person.

41
RoomSurf

Most people are randomly paired with their first roommate during the summer before their freshman year. They spend all summer coordinating colors, planning who is going to bring what, and getting to know each other. Fall approaches and they become friends. Many times, they don't get along. Going home for my first winter break in college, I heard a lot of my friends complaining about their roommates. Lucky for me, my roommate is my best friend.

"You look as good as the day I met you. I forgot just why I left you, I was insane."

We met during our senior year--April 8, 2016, to be exact. Bless your dad for making you sit with me at that Scholarship Reception--without him, I never would've gotten to know you like I did that day. We were already both committed to Seton Hall, and in dual degree programs. You, an Social & Behavorial Science and Occupational Therapy major; I, a Biology and Physical Therapy major. We first bonded over common interests, like pasta and Dr. Pepper. I'm so glad that I left Seton Hall that weekend knowing that such an amazing person was going to be my roommate.

"Stay, and play that Blink-182 song that we beat to death in Tucson."

Thanks for dance parties. Thank you for blasting tunes in the shower and singing with me from the opposite end of the bathroom. No matter what day or what time, thank you for never hesitating to dance and sing your heart out with me. Thank you for being my Christina Yang...and getting me addicted to Grey's.

"I know it breaks your heart, moved to the city in a broke down car."

Thank you for sitting in our room and crying with me when we got homesick. I'm the biggest crybaby ever, but you already know that. Thanks for crying with me or laughing at me when I cry over Criminal Minds. (Or...at night. Thank you for never failing to make me laugh with your crazy dance moves. And thank you for popping open bottles of sparkling cider with me to make me smile. Thanks for grabbing food with me, no matter what time of day it is. And thank you for going out to town or to the city with me, and never failing to get weird with me. Whether we're at the Cove or taking the train up to the city, thanks for sticking by my side.

"Pull the sheets right off the corner of the mattress that you stole.."

From your roommate back in Boland? I may not have stolen your mattress, but we've made so many memories in our lovely building. When I saw our room assignment this past summer, I didn't know how to feel about the communal bathrooms. I didn't know how I felt about living with other freshmen in one building. And I didn't know how I felt about sharing a room with someone. Thankfully, you've helped me make this a great experience. Whether we're in our room, doing homework in the bathroom (yeah, we're weird), or hanging out with friends down the hall, we've undoubtedly had so much fun. (And received noise complaints.) Thank you for not only being my roommate, but also being my best friend. Thank you for being my person.

"We ain't ever getting older."