An Open Letter To My Little Sister: We Both Have A Lot To Learn | The Odyssey Online

An Open Letter To My Little Sister: We Both Have A Lot To Learn

A little bit of knowledge to pass along to you

17
tyranny of style

To My Sister Emma,

Despite occasionally acting like it, I am most certainly not an all-knowing human being. That in itself would be too big a contradiction for even me to achieve. I do, however, have some tidbits of wisdom to offer you:

Figure out what you need to prioritize. Life is all time management, but not necessarily in the way I know you have seen it. Everyone gets the same 24 hours, the same seven day week, and you need to figure out how and with whom you want to spend that time. Prioritize people that are important to you, things that make you happy and things you know will help you achieve everything and anything you end up wanting to. In my case, I have learned that relationships with my friends and my family are what I prioritize. I prioritize creativity, growth, kindness, intelligence and experiences. Focus on finding what means the most to you. That being said, you may have the same seven day week as everyone else, but you still have quite a bit of time before you have to have everything figured out. Take a breather and just focus on finding you. Everything else will fall into place.

Never allow yourself to let your compliments become mindless. Your kind words matter as much as your critical one’s, and you should take just as much care in choosing the positive words as you do the negative ones. I know this appears to be an odd thing to focus on, but it is something I have found to be very important. The expressions of praise I offer people are always chosen with care because it is important to me that it is clear I believe what I am saying. That is yet another thing I prioritize.

Cherish your friendships. They are some of the best and, sometimes the most complicated relationships you will have in your life, but they are also some of the most important. Your friends are who will make you smile, who will listen to you, who will want to spend time with you, who will smile at you in the hallways, who will laugh at the same things you do, who will dry your tears, who will lean on and confide in you, who will really just be there. I’ve said this to you before, but when you turn around and look for someone to run to, who will be there? The people that come to mind are who you need in your life. Focus on the people who will be there for you and who you want to be there for.

Whatever you do, wherever you go, whatever mistakes you make and whatever you achieve, I want you to know that when you are looking for a hand, whether it be in a round of applause or a reassuring grip, I will be there. I prioritize you. I love you dearly Mini Me.

Your Big Sister, Kate.