An Open Letter To Our Earth | The Odyssey Online

An Open Letter To Our Earth

I'm sorry.

20
An Open Letter To Our Earth

Dear Earth,

I'm sorry I even have to write this. I am sorry for what you have become, for what you have been reduced to. I'm only one voice on this matter, only one apology, but know that there are others out there with the same words in their heart.

I'm sorry that the title of this is not more elegantly worded; that I, and all of my kind, refer to you as "ours," even though we only inhabit you. I'm sorry that there is a lack of respect and love for what you are and what you provide. That rather than fix the problems we have caused, viable solutions are being denied. That the brightest minds are now turning to ways to leave you behind, and forge a new and synthetic Earth.

I'm sorry that we are greedy. That we have allowed money to so distort our vision that our eyes are now blind to the simple beauty that you provide. We now only focus on the profit that we may be able to scourge from your soil and oceans. I'm sorry that your rain forests and your oil and your creatures have been reduced to dollar signs and trophies. That instead of appreciating the haven that your atmosphere provides, we relentlessly send toxins into the air. That instead of using other alternatives, we run you dry and destroy you in the process.

I'm sorry that you have had to witness the life you have supported die and whither away. That you have had to witness the drawing of borders and watch as meaningless identities destroyed humanities. That we have heartlessly slaughtered fellow humans, and other species alike, without any thought to the potential harm that was being done. You have witnessed genocide, homicide, mass graves and extinction, monstrosities that only human beings could commit.

I'm sorry that we have let our greed and arrogance lead us to ignorance and a superiority complex that is irreversible despite mounds of scientific evidence.

That instead of becoming humble, we continue to fish your oceans bare, run your rivers dry, and pollute your waters, our forests destroyed and your creatures killed.

I'm sorry that your land has become blood-soaked and war torn, scarred beyond repair, signs of humanity forever on your surface.

Most of all, I am sorry for the denial. For the lack of action. For the complacency. For the lack of responsibility. For the acceptance of eventual doom and the ability to turn a blind eye to your eventual death. We are only a blink in your long life, but in just a relative second we have become the ultimate cancer, spreading uncontrollably and filling you without relent. We have sickened you faster than imaginable. You support us, help us grow, and in return, we kill you slowly and without remorse, laugh in the face of the facts and refuse to help you.

I'm sorry that we are this way. That humans are controlled by greed and lust for money. Someday we will have our eyes opened to the severity of your illness, and we will have a wake up call.

Hopefully this happens before it is too late.