An Open Letter To My First Dog Who Passed | The Odyssey Online

An Open Letter To My First Dog Who Passed

I cannot thank you enough for the joy, security, happiness, and love you gave to me.

20
Zoe Kiriazis

Hi baby girl. I miss you so much already. You came into our lives as a surprise and you left us in an even bigger surprise.

When I was younger living with my grandparents, my mom, and brother under one roof we were never allowed to have a pet. It wasn't our house, and of course we have to obey the rules. Then your Momma, alpha as we always like to call her, spotted you at the pet store in New Hampshire. A small, seven week old sick puppy looking straight into my mom's, second in line after Momma, eyes. It was love at first sight.

You were placed into my mom's arms and that was the end of it. It did not matter how much you were worth or what was wrong with you, we wanted you. I couldn't believe someone as innocent and loving as you would make such a difference in my life.

We knew you came from a dark, scary puppy mill. Knowing well enough that if we didn't take you, you my love would not have lived with a wonderful family with an absolutely beautiful life for almost ten years. You were my first pet, a companion. I couldn't believe I was left with my father for a night and I was gifted you.

I was 13 years old when we got you. I was going through a really tough time emotionally in middle school and making the decision to move to a whole new state in my own house with my own room. A home where you were going to be. You are my home with me and the momma's. You saw me graduate high school, go off to college, whipped my tears away with every anxiety attack, and took up the entire full sized bed.

Whenever I was upset, you would be right there beside me. Whenever Mom had surgery on her eye you knew something was wrong and wanted to help. When you pooped or peed in the bedroom and mom would yell at you, you'd be right next to me as a way of protection. You were the only one home when I got home after a long drive from Fredonia most of the time.

I will always remember you sitting at the top of the sofa waiting for Momma Kim to get home from work when we had the red sofas. I will never forget the times when you were just a few years old, hiding and barking under the red sofas thinking you were some tough bulldog ready to fight. I will never forget you scratching my leg as a way to communicate that you wanted to be held. When I sang when no one was home, you would always stare, my biggest fan in the audience. I will always remember those times when we use to play with your fluffies, toys as we called them, only being able to play for not even five minutes because you got so tired. Laying out in the sun on the porch which was your favorite spot to be in.

My last visit home, I knew that was the last time I would see you. A gut feeling I didn't want to believe it, but when I got that phone call Sunday night, I knew it was our last goodbye. You cried on the steps and I didn't get to hold you one last time. I wish I could go back in time and cuddle you one last time, to remember what if felt like for one more chance.

No matter who, and if, any other pet comes after you, no one will compare to the love, kindness, and warmth you gave to every single person. Every person who experienced your love for life will miss you dearly. Our home in Ithaca is missing a huge piece with you at peace in puppy heaven. You were the best thing to come home to every day and every time I came home from college. You will always be a part of our family.

I love you so much puppers, more than you will ever know. The morning I found out you were no longer with us, a piece of my heart left with you. I know you went in peace, Momma Kim fighting the tears wanting to cool you down after one last time during your final seizure never wanting to let go, Momma Karen having to make and experience the toughest decision she has ever had to make for one of her children, and I lost the little sister I have always wanted.

You are no longer in pain, away from the cruel cancer that ultimately killed you. You are not suffering from a seizure that brought nothing, but pain to your moms and I. I will never forget you or the memories you gave me to last a lifetime. You will be remembered by everyone you have met as my puppy, taco dog, rat, and sister.

I love you always, Bebe girl, and my love for you will never go away. I will see you again someday.