I'm Not Bossy, I'm A Boss Lady | The Odyssey Online

I'm Not Bossy, I'm A Boss Lady

Bossiness is just leadership potential.

85
I'm Not Bossy, I'm A Boss Lady
www.conservativewoma.co.uk

I’ve been told, pretty much since I could talk, that I am bossy. Being the oldest child, it was probably a fitting description of how I interacted with my siblings.

However, as I grew up I started to notice a pattern. Whenever a boy started to take charge, he was automatically hailed as a leader. Whenever I tried to take charge, I was being bossy and talking too much. Girls are told from the time that they’re little that when they assert themselves, they are being “bossy.”

The Huffington Post has a great article: I am Not Bossy But I Am a Boss Lady.

In it, writer Fatima Scipio talks about her book Boss Lady (Seven Life Principles to Reign in the New Economy) and how she is trying to de-emphasize the word “bossy” and embrace the term “Boss Lady.” Scipio shares three tips to turn young women into Boss Ladies:

1. Help them develop a Boss Lady mindset.

Positive affirmations!

“Whether you think you can or you can’t, you’re right.” Between elementary school and high school, girl’s confidence drops 3.5 times faster than boys’. We need to encourage girls and remind them of what they are: Strong, courageous, and certainly not bossy.

2. Teach them about the power of words.

Girls are hit with a lot of negativity starting from a very early age. “By teaching girls how to respond positively, it releases the power of a negative word,” said Scipio.

3. Help girls to recognize strengths and develop their gifts.

When girls are called bossy, it is on us to help them realize their leadership potential. We have to stress that an effective leader leads alongside those in her charge, not above them. If we harness the potential energy of these future Lady Bosses, who knows what could be accomplished?

Girl Scouts of America partnered with LeanIn.org to start the #BanBossy campaign. It has been recognized by some of my favorite Boss Ladies, such as: Melinda Gates, Michelle Obama and even Beyoncé.

This advice isn’t just for young girls. It is important for women everywhere to remember their strength and realize their own Boss Lady potential. Stay boss and #banbossy.