Coffee: Friend Or Foe?

Coffee: Friend Or Foe?

News Flash: Coffee is your friend

133
Coffee: Friend Or Foe?

Is coffee a friend or a foe? I'm sorry, but, seriously, why is that even a question? Not only is it heavenly, but also, it has recently been reported that there might be health benefits to drinking coffee. So, keep reading to read about my companion for life, coffee, as well as, the benefits that one can gain from it!

When I was in high school, I learned of the joy that is coffee. My dad drinks coffee occasionally, but it isn’t a do-or-die situation. My papa, on the other hand, drank it all day long. He would reheat a mug from earlier in the morning in the microwave and drink happily away. Papa would alsobrew a new pot of coffee at 11 p.m. and drink it just because he loved the taste of it. I am my papa’s granddaughter—I literally drink coffee all. day. long. If I could afford it, I would buy a lifetime supply of Starbuck’s peppermint white chocolate mochas and French vanilla lattes (amiright?). For me, coffee is not all about the caffeine, but rather, it's about the taste. I mean, the richness of a good coffee is indescribable.

Let's not forget the perkiness one feels after a cup o' joe. Another plus for coffee, it can be BEAUTIFUL.

Like most college campuses, our dining hall had a coffee station. Chow needed a heck of a lot bigger coffee station to accommodate all the exhausted college students in search of a caffeine rush. However, every time I walked into Chow, I got myself a cup of coffee with every single meal, and sometimes I would just walk in and use a swipe for coffee. That is some serious dedication people, to use a precious meal swipe simply on coffee. Luckily for me, UNG’s dining dollars can also be used at Einstein’s, which makes a mean vanilla latte and Starbucks. Some other serious dedication includes walking all the way across campus to go get Starbucks, because it is seriously one of the longest walks ever (other than up to HNS, of course). There is nothing better than a good cup of Starbuck’s coffee running through my veins.

Recently there were statistics that reported that on average, Americans only drink one cup of coffee per day. I’m sorry, what was that? Only ONE CUP PER DAY? How do people survive on that? In fact, how do people not like coffee? I’m coffee shaming you right now if you don’t like coffee. How can you resist this?

A report published by the Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee is showing that a decreased risk in heart disease and type 2 diabetes could possibly be associated with drinking three to five cups of coffee a day. Health benefits, you say? I’M IN. That just gives me all the more reason to keep on drinking my lovely companion that I like to call coffee.

So, Americans, instead of one cup of coffee per day, let's bump that up to AT LEAST three. Because if there are health benefits involved, that's great! Coffee deserves to be loved not only because of its health benefits, but also because of its out-of-this-world taste.

Happy drinking (of coffee, that is!)