Nine Trends From The 90s That Need To Make A Comeback | The Odyssey Online

Nine Trends From The 90s That Need To Make A Comeback

They say history is bound to repeat itself. In the case of 90s fashion, I'm hoping it does.

53
style.disney.com

The 90s are known for many things: The Clinton Administration, Spice Girls and of course, some pretty questionable fashion trends. But it wasn't all bad. Some trends might even be worth another look in the new millennium. Here's nine trends from the 90s that I'm hoping are on their way to a comeback. I, for one, would definitely rock all of these in 2017.

1. Butterfly Clips

Growing up in the 90s and early 2000s, I had an affinity for wearing all sorts of tacky crap in my hair-- if it was colorful and obnoxious, count me in. Back when I was a kid, your popularity was directly related to how many of these clips you could cram into your hair. I'm an adult now (or pretending to be), so I wouldn't go overboard this time. Maybe only like seven or eight.

2. Clogs

Remember these? Why did they ever go out of style? There were so many different variations and I used to wear clogs all the time growing up. You could pair them with jeans, skirts, leggings or whatever else your heart desired. They were so versatile and the height of fashion, naturally. "A comfortable classic" says my roommate, and how right she is.

3. Overalls

They're pants that will never fall down. What more could you ask for?

4. Fanny Packs

Not only were these incredibly stylish (obviously), but they were the most functional way to carry your stuff. You could put your phone, keys, wallet and anything else you needed right in the little pouch. Easy peasy lemon squeezy.

5. Tie Dye Shirts

People could see you coming from a mile away, but that was part of the charm. Tie dye shirts were so bright and fun. Today's clothes are boring in comparison.

6. Scrunchies

I loved scrunchies back in the day, and current me has been known to break these bad boys out as well. They're so colorful, and don't rip your hair like normal hairbands. Even if I'm one of the few still feelin' scrunchies, I'm not giving up on this trend just yet.

7. Velvet Anything

I really don't know why people ever stopped wearing velvet. It can make any look ten times classier and is especially beautiful in the winter. But, you know, back in the 90s it was actually cold in the winter. Thanks global warming.

8. Grunge Fashion

I'm especially partial to combat boots, plaid and the color black, so any look that combines these is a-okay by me. My favorite is pairing the grunge look with a feminine article of clothing, like a flowery dress or skirt.

9. Slip Dresses

The lazy girl in me loves this look. People think you're super fancy and have your life together because you're wearing a dress, but it's actually feels like wearing a really comfortable, silky, oversized shirt. Pair it over a t-shirt for more coverage and versatility. I'm telling you, these dresses are a win-win.