Night's Black Agents: A Sneak Peak Into NU's The Macbeth Insurgency | The Odyssey Online

Night's Black Agents: A Sneak Peak Into NU's The Macbeth Insurgency

An early look into NU's deconstruction of one of Shakespeare's most infamous tragedies

10
Kalee George

In the next two weeks, eleven students will perform what has been dubbed "The Macbeth Insurgency: Shakespeare Deconstructed" at Niagara University's Leary Theatre, and you will not want to miss this one.

When announced last year to Niagara University's Theatre department, the title had yet to be finalized by Doug Zschiegner the translator of this innovative production, so when the title was announced as "Macbeth Insurgency," there were a lot of questions. How much of the language would be retained? What would the setting be like? What themes of the original, 1606 production would be explored or expanded upon?

The day before the dreaded "off-book" date for the actors, I sat in on a rehearsal and interviewed some cast members as well as Professor Zschiegner to get a sneak peak of what to expect.

In terms of what language is like in a "deconstructed" Shakespearean piece, "Macbeth Insurgency" stays true to the original text, but cuts, edits, rearranges and reimagines to emphasize the themes of this particular production. When asked how he began the process of "deconstructing" "Macbeth," Prof. Zschiegner explained that when selecting a season with Steven Braddock, the program's Artistic Director, they were simply looking to produce a play that addresses terrorism. He went on to explain that because the intent was never to "fix" "Macbeth," reading "The Year of Lear" by James Shapiro brought the inspiration for the theme of "Macbeth Insurgency."

Modernizing/ futurizing the setting provides interesting additions to the show. To help tell the story, media plays a heavy part in the show not only to help the audience understand but also as guide in the pseudo-modern setting in which "Macbeth" is being portrayed. Macbeth is still in the military, but here he is a drone operator. Fascinatingly, the asides and soliloquies are all being filmed during the delivery that harkens to video confessionals seen on reality television.

Moreover, the setting, while vaguely modern, has a distinct futurist tonality in the set, costume, sound, and lighting design. This setting allows the themes of terrorism, toxic masculinity, and religious extremism to be brought to the forefront of the play but allows the audience enough distance from our own reality to not impose any preconceived notions on any particular group or character. This choice parallels Shakespeare's choice of setting "Macbeth," a play addressing the fear caused by terrorism in England, in Scotland. The terrorism Shakespeare was writing about was the infamous Gunpowder Plot that was just barely thwarted. Because the Gunpowder Plot was terrorism enacted by Christian Extremists, the resonance in the fifteen-year wake of 9/11 feels all too relevant. In addition, the toxic masculinity found in "Macbeth" echoes ever so loudly in the case of the Omar Mateen, the perpetrator of the Pulse Nightclub shooting from just this summer. All of these connections were found and explored by Prof. Zschiegner through extensive research and analysis that began during the last school year.

The cast of "Macbeth Insurgency" is nothing less than phenomenal. Headed by Brendan Didio and Ember Tate as the infamous Macbeth's, the students in the production portray these characters in a not so distant future with a haunting relatability. Ms. Tate, playing Lady Macbeth explained that her Lady M. is different because, "I haven't seen any other Lady Macbeth's, so my interpretation is not influenced by others performances or concepts." Ms. Tate does, however, find inspiration from other characters she’s played, "In a sense, Lady M combines the personas of the other characters I have portrayed at NU (Trix "the Drowsy Chaperone," "Tituba Afflicted," and "La Bret CyranA"). When asked what questions the audience should take away from the production, Mr. Didio clarified, "How does Macbeth justify his actions? Is he truly faithful to a destructive religion or are his acts justified through the guise of faith? And how do these questions relate to our world today?"

The "three sisters" as they are so called, add an earthy contrast to the stark, militaristic world of "Macbeth Insurgency." Mersedez Hoover explains the role of "the sisters," "In this production, we have eliminated this really common conception of the sisters as 'witches.' They're really closer to priestesses or nuns, three women bound by a strong, extreme view of their religion. It's been really fun and an interesting challenge to approach this and get rid of all those stereotypes that surround things like 'double double toil and trouble' with a religious fervor instead of the classic witch-y potion stuff."

Although not yet in costume, their characters and intentions already shine past the empty stage and work lights that they rehearse under. One can only imagine the impact the show will have once tech week arrives, as the current state of the show is already incredibly powerful. When asked why people should come see the show Mr. Didio explained, "If you've never seen Shakespeare before, or if you haven't given Shakespeare a fair chance, this is the opportunity to do so because this is a show that will resonate with a modern audience, especially the hundreds of high school students who are coming to see the show. One the other hand, if you have seen Shakespeare or know his works well, this is an opportunity to see a whole new perspective drawn from the bard's very own words."

Below are the 6 opportunities to see this wonderful production. Don't miss it!

• Thursday, October 13, 2016 at 7:00pm
  • Friday, October 14, 2016 at 7:30pm
  • Saturday, October 15, 2016 at 2:00pm
  • Saturday, October 15, 2016 at 7:30pm
  • Sunday, October 16, 2016 at 2:00pm (Post-Show Discussion)
  • Monday, October 17, 2016 at 7:00pm

Get more information and tickets here: http://theatre.niagara.edu/shows/current-shows/sho...