Nice, France: A Depressingly Familiar Scene | The Odyssey Online

Nice, France: A Depressingly Familiar Scene

May we be saved from evil thoughts and deed of enemies of world peace who find pleasure in creating havoc and perpetrating all forms of carnage. - Yahya Jammeh

7
Ink 361

Imagine.

You're eleven years old.

You are on the vacation of your life.

Not just any vacation. No. You are in France, a country famous for its culture, its fashion, its food, and you just so happened to be there during a Bastille Day Festival.

Just imagine.

You're sitting in a diverse crowd of natives, foreigns, even Americans like yourself. Just like the rest of the crowd, you turn your attention upwards at the blaring sparkles of fluorescence, the booming roars and sharp whistling of the fireworks coloring the sky. You're astonished, right?

And so imagine..

if someone interrupts this brilliant show, putting an end in the night's wonder and awe. You're upset, right? You have come to this foreign country. You have shown up to this beautiful remembrance of independence, one akin to our Fourth of July. And someone so carelessly wrecked that night for you.

And then imagine much worse.

On Thursday, July 14, around 10:30-11:00 p.m., a man attacked a Bastille Day celebration in the city of Nice, France. He did so by use of a large truck, careering recklessly and intentionally through the crowd at high speeds. killing many. At least 84 people have been killed, while dozens are injured and hospitalized.

Many of these were children.

He made it approximately two kilometers down the road, all the while causing his destruction and mass murder. After he was shot down by police, the truck was searched and found to contain several weapons and grenades.

The man's name was Mohamad Bouhlel.

It has been reported that before he was shot down, he shouted, in Arabic, "God is great."

The French President, Francois Hollande spoke out and pledged to strengthen his country's role in Iraq and Syria. He also asserted that he would hit Isis "even harder." France's state of emergency, which was scheduled to end this month, is to be extended another few months.

And so imagine...

you are there, your dream vacation, as you look up at you father. You glance away from the fireworks long enough to give your dad a look of appreciation. For this night. For this opportunity. That is, until your glance is ripped away from your father and forced to settle on this tragedy unfolding before you.

Imagine the families.

Your family in America listening to this horrific news, realizing this vacation of yours won't have a homecoming.

(Sean Copeland, 51, and his son, Brodie, 11, were two of the victims of this horrific event. Both, being from Texas, were on vacation when this trajedy took place. My prayers are with their family, as well as all of the other families who are suffering from this terrific act.

The family has set up a GoFundMe page in their time of need.