The NHL Playoffs Bracket Breakdown

The NHL Playoffs Bracket Breakdown

It's the most wonderful time of the year!

69
The NHL Playoffs Bracket Breakdown
NHL.com

It's the most wonderful time of year! The first round of the NHL playoffs start this Wednesday and the quest for Lord Stanley is on. You can practically smell the ice beneath the skates, you can almost hear the sound of the goal horn, the smell of excitement is in the air.

Wednesday's slate starts with a triple-header as Detroit heads to Tampa Bay, the New York Rangers visit Pittsburgh, and St. Louis hosts Chicago.

But hockey fans want it NOW!

For those of us who watch/listen to games religiously, NHL playoffs is something we both look forward to and dread all season long. We can't wait to see our team head to battle for that beautiful Stanley Cup, but if our team falls short our hearts are broken, which brings me to bracket-making.

Brackets can be conflicting with our hearts. We may have one team we love and follow dutifully, but we might know, realistically, they won't make it to the finals. It can almost feel as if we are betraying them by choosing them to fall early in the playoffs.

Bracketology is a strategic process that requires lots and lots of analyzing and thought. Without further adieu, here is my bracket and it's breakdown for the 2015-16 NHL Stanley Cup playoffs.

(PSA: I am not an expert NHL analyst and my selections are based off matchups during the regular season)

You can make your own bracket right here.

First Round

Dallas vs. Minnesota

Dallas in 5 games

These two squads met five times during the regular season with Dallas winning 4/5 of those match-ups.

While three of those victories came in overtime, that means MIN put up a fight and held their own. But, looking at overall points and standings in the league, DAL is at 109 while the Wild only have 87. It's hard to argue that DAL is the clear favorite in this matchup, which is why I chose them over MIN in five games.

St. Louis vs. Chicago

Chicago in 6 games

The Blues and the Blackhawks also had five meetings during the 2015-16 season with the Blues winning three. All three wins came in OT, with one going to a shootout. I believe this will be a tough series, but ultimately, with players such as Jonathan Toews, Patrick Kane and Artemi Panarin, I see Chicago coming out on top in six games and moving on to Round 2 to face the Dallas Stars.

Anaheim v. Nashville

Nashville in 5 games

The Ducks and the Predators only met three times this season, with Nashville taking 2/3 games. Anaheim has leverage over Nashville with 103 points opposed to the Preds' 96 points. With those standards, NSH is the underdog in this series. But, I think the Preds will prevail over Anaheim and win in five games.

Los Angeles vs. San Jose

San Jose in 6 games

The Kings and the Sharks versed each other five times in 2015-16. San Jose claimed three of those games, putting up five goals each time. The Kings only won twice, one of those being in OT. Los Angeles may have 102 points, but San Jose isn't far behind with 98 points. I think they have what it takes to overpower the Kings and move on to the second round to face Nashville in six games.

Washington vs. Philadelphia

Washington in 4 games

The Caps and the Flyers met four times this season, evenly splitting the series. But the Flyers' victories game in OT, still giving the Capitals points. The Caps are #1 in the league with 120 points and were the hottest team in the league this season. The Flyers are at 96 points, but they are a very inconsistent team. I have the Capitals sweeping the Flyers in four games to move on to Round 2.

Pittsburgh vs. New York Rangers

Pittsburgh in 6 games

I am a diehard Penguins' fan so I have complete faith in my team. They face the Rangers four times this season, claiming three of those games. One win was in OT, but they still proved to be the stronger team three out of four times. In previous seasons, the Rangers' goalie Henrik Lundqvist has always proved to be a problem for the Pens, but not this year as his brick wall seemed to crumble against Pittsburgh. The Pens look for revenge after last year's embarassing Round 1 defeat at the hands of the Rangers and will be out for blood, which is why I have them winning in six games and going on to face the Capitals.

Florida vs. New York Islanders

Florida in 6 games

After three matchups in which Florida won 2/3, the Panthers and the Islanders will meet in Round 1. The Panthers ended their regular season with 103 points and the Islanders with 100, which almost makes this anyone's game. But, I believe the Panthers will come out on top to win Round 1 in six games.

Tampa Bay vs. Detroit

Tampa in 7 games

Detroit will be out for revenge following a Round One elimination in the 2014-15 post season at the hands of the Tampa Bay Lightning. These two squads met four times this season and split the wins evenly. Tampa ended their regular season with 97 points and Detroit with 93, which is going to make for an exciting series. But, ultimately I have Tampa taking the series over Detroit in yet another seven game stretch, mirroring last year's postseason, to face the Panthers.

Second Round

Dallas vs. Chicago

Dallas in 6 games

These two squads met four times this year, with Dallas claiming three out of four wins. With Dallas at 109 points and Chicago at 103, this could be a close series, but I have Dallas surpassing the Blackhawks in six games.

Nashville vs. San Jose

Nashville in 5 games

In the three match-ups between these two teams, San Jose only claimed on victory, which was in OT, proving that the Preds can hold their own against the Sharks. Which is why I have Nashville over San Jose in five games to move on and face Dallas in the third round.

Washington vs. Pittsburgh

Pens in 7 games

There is nothing Pens' and Caps' fans love more than a Pittsburgh-Washington playoff series. The pure rivalry and hatred between these two games will make for a physical and exciting series. These foes faced off five times this season, with the Pens winning 3/5. Ultimately, I have the Pens prevailing over the Caps in seven games.

Florida vs. Tampa Bay

Florida in 5 games

After five meetings between these Florida team, the Panthers came out on top with 4/5 wins. While it will be a battle of the Sunshine State, I pick Florida to be victorious over Tampa in five games to face the Penguins in the third round.

Round 3

Dallas vs. Nashville

Dallas in 6 games

While Dallas and Nashville are not the two teams you might think of when you think playoff hockey, I have them facing each other in the third round. The Stars and Preds met five times in the 2015-16 season, with Dallas taking 4/5 games, which is why I have them prevailing to move on to the Stanley Cup finals in six games.

Pittsburgh vs. Tampa

Pittsburgh in 6 games

The Pens and the Lightning met three times, with Tampa taking all three games. But, the Pens did not really start picking up victories and sky-rocketing towards the playoffs until February, which was when these two teams last met. With Pittsburgh's momentum in the last few weeks of the season, I have them defeating the Lightning to move onto the Stanley Cup in six games.

The Finals

Pittsburgh vs. Dallas

Pittsburgh in 7 games.

Here it is. The Stanley Cup Finals. What us hockey fans live and breathe for. Pittsburgh and Dallas only met twice during the regular season, and Dallas took both games. But, because they only met twice, it's hard to analyze how they will actually fair against one another. Dallas ended their season with 109 points and the Penguins with 104. But, the Penguins have been on fire as of the last few weeks of the season and it's hard to imagine that fire will die out any time soon.

They are currently facing a similar situation as they did in 2008 when they last won the cup, as they again changed coaches midway through the season. In 2008, they brought in Dan Bylsma and turned their seemingly dreary season around to become the champions. this season, they dumped Mike Johnston to pick up Mike Sullivan, and their season as been nothing but uphill since. Which is why I have them winning the Cup in seven games.