Never Done Before | The Odyssey Online

Never Done Before

Being 21 has some more perks

10
Never Done Before
Alex Ren

All of my life I have felt trapped. Like I'm not allowed to go out and do what makes me happy. I felt pressured to do whatever everyone else around me.

You know what it's like to just become a whole different person when you turn 21? I feel like my entire life has changed because of this little number. Things I could not do three months ago but now it's different. I know I already said that but it's true. I really do feel different.

1. Freedom

I feel like I can do whatever I want now. Of course there are some rules applied (*cough cough* laws!) but there is this sense of freedom about being 21. (And, honey, it's not the alcohol talking!)

Along with that, your mind becomes freer. I just think that it is best to just let your mind go free sometimes and it makes life so much easier by doing so. Less stress, worries and frustrations!

2. Expression

I feel like I can express myself differently. People actually listen to me more. I am not viewed so much as a child to them anymore. I have a voice that can be heard. Just because I can do Jell-O shots with you now does not make me any more special than any other 21 year old.

3. Responsibility

Most people my age don't want responsibility but, surprisingly, I do. I like the freedom to make different choices. Within limits that is. I don't want to end up sitting in a cell the next day. Mama does not like ending up The Hangover style. Not my cup of tea, okuuuurr?!

4. Pals

With becoming an actual adult comes with the opportunity to make new friends. Maybe instead of studying for that final, like you actually planned on doing, you go bar hopping or clubbing instead. I'm not advising it but I've heard it happen before. College gets to the best of us sometimes, people. Gotta let off the steam somehow! And mama likes to get crunk! (If you're going out sometime, just let me know, cool? I'm totally down for anything!)

5. Me, myself and I

I can just be myself. It's the one key thing I've learned in college so far. It does not matter who you end up being. As long as you're okay with it, and you surround yourself with good people, all is Gucci! I used to be so scared of showing off my true colors but, once I had found out that people liked me better this way, I never went back. I'm even considered the funny one, who knew?!

I hope you all enjoyed this one. I thought I would just inspire people to just be themselves. You usually only go to college once and I think you should live it up to the best of your ability! If anyone can be you the best, it's you.

See you all next week in a video that I am making. I think I might make some cookies, how does that sound? See ya on the flip side! Peace out, girl scouts!