The 16 Best Red Carpet Dresses At The Academy Awards

My top Oscar looks in honor of the Oscars 2016

171

In honor of the 88th Academy Awards, I thought it was appropriate to look back on some of the best red carpet looks celebrities have shown off throughout the years. These are my personal favorites, and hopefully more celebs will wow us yet again on the famous red carpet at the most anticipated award show of the season on Sunday.

1. Kate Hudson at the 2014 Academy Awards

Kate Hudson wore a striking silver Atelier Versace gown, featuring a bolero, or baby cape. This unique dress and the extra drape in the back gave it "a 1930s vibe," according to Hudson. The blond beauty paired her ensemble with side-swept curls and carried a matching pearl white Art Deco-inspired clutch. Her flawless smokey eye makeup completed the look beautifully.

2. Jennifer Lawrence at the 2011 Academy Awards

Though many argued Jennifer Lawrence's fiery red Calvin Klein dress was boring and tasteless, it happens to be one of my favorite Oscar looks of all time. Her dress is from the Calvin Klein Collection, made for her by designer Francisco Costa. Though not pictured, her "New Lancer" platform sandals are Jimmy Choo, and she finished the outfit with Chopard jewelry, and a Judith Lieber bag.

3. Angelina Jolie at the 2012 Academy Awards

This black, dramatic dress that should off Angelina Jolie's right leg went viral the second she walked onto the red carpet. The Versace dress made headlines and Jolie's right leg was said to be "the breakout star of the night." This look is easily one of Jolie's best.

4. Jessica Chastain at the 2013 Academy Awards

Even though she was rewarded with an Oscar nom in 2012, Jessica Chastain did not look any less flawless even when she was just a presented at the 2013 Oscars. She's donning a fully beaded Armani Prive gown and accompanied the gown with Harry Winston jewels. Her hairstylist, Renato Campora, gave Chastain a deep side part with timeless curled layers tucked to left side in order to show off her beautiful Winston earrings.

5. Kate Winslet at the 2002 Academy Awards

Wearing a sleek red gown by little-known designer Ben de Lisi, Kate Winslet made history in 2002 with this Oscar look. The flowery embroidered strap made this simple gown fit for the red carpet and the fiery red color complimented her fair skin and strawberry blonde hair.

6. Michelle Williams at the 2006 Academy Awards

Counted as one of the best looks of all time, Michelle Williams looked stunning in a mustard-hued, beautifully pleated gown, and tucked Vera Wang with vintage Fred Leighton jewels.

7. Nicole Kidman at the 2007 Academy Awards

Pictured above is Nicole Kidman wearing one of the most iconic dresses of all time. At the time, Kidman received a lot of criticism for wearing a bow bigger than her head, but the Balenciaga gown was an elegant and eye-catching choice.

8. Mila Kunis at the 2011 Academy Awards

Mila Kunis is stunning in this magical Elie Saab lavender dress. The tiered lace detailing the gown and grosgrain ribbon waist was teamed with silver jewels and a gorgeous low bun hairstyle.

9. Octavia Spencer at the 2012 Academy Awards

The Best Supporting Actress Winner that night dawned a hand-beaded, ivory silk tulle Tadashi Shoji gown on her big night. Fun fact: it took 1,000 hours of work, a team of 10, and six fittings to get the customized gown from the designer's showroom to the red carpet, according to the label.

10. Jenna Dewan - Tatum at the 2013 Academy Awards

A pregnant Dewan-Tatum glowed as she showed off her baby bump in a body-hugging black lace Rachel Roy gown with cap sleeves and a deep V-neck. She made a jaw-dropping appearance on the red carpet, and definitely showed off her greatest accessory (her baby bump) in the classiest way.

11. Sandra Bullock at the 2014 Academy Awards

Bullock looked absolutely stunning in this deep blue gown. The gorgeous gown had a sweetheart neckline and the fabric could not be more flattering on her body. Her look was topped off with amazing makeup — a smokey eye and navy blue eyeliner, but the best part was her amazing Lorraine Schwartz ear cuff.

12. Charlize Theron at the 2004 Oscars

Theron showed everyone that simple can also be memorable. When she accepted her award for Best Actress at the 2004 Oscars, she showed off her glimmering Gucci floor-length gown. With her 40’s style curls, Theron was definitely one to remember that year and years to come.

13. Lupita Nyong'o at the 2015 Oscars

The 2014 Oscar Winner for Best Supporting Actress for "12 Years a Slave" dawned this magnificent Calvin Klein gown made out of 6,000 individual pearls the next year. Looking elegant as ever, Nyong'o accompanied this one of a kind dress with lovely diamond jewelry by Chopard.

14. Reese Witherspoon at the 2011 Oscars

Going for a 60s inspired look from the top, Witherspoon wore one of the best black and white Oscar dresses by Armani Privé in 2011. Along with her retro updo, she showed off her Neil Lane diamond and emerald jewelry worth over $1 million.

15. Penelope Cruz at the 2012 Oscars

Cruz looked her best ever at the 2012 Oscars since her 2007 Oscar look when she wore Atelier Versace. Here, she walked onto the red carpet and dawned a custom Armani Privé gown. The stormy sky color of the dress compliments her olive colored skin beautifully. Her stunning look was paired with a retro-inspired faux bob and Chopard jewels, including a simple collar necklace which was a big trend of the night, accessorize the dress.

16. Cate Blanchett at the 2014 Oscars

Finally, I could never forget to recognize Cate Blanchett's 24/7 classiness. Though classy while even walking the streets, Cate Blanchett killed classy at the 2014 Academy Awards. This Armani Privé dress would not have looked this elegant on anyone else. She finished her look off with her Chopard jewelery - which included earrings with 62 opals, a diamond bracelet and a ring.