My Top 8 Favorite Marilyn Manson Albums | The Odyssey Online

My Top 8 Favorite Marilyn Manson Albums

A tribute to my favorite heroic villain.

198
My Top 8 Favorite Marilyn Manson Albums
The Marilyn Manson Cult on Facebook

In the world of rock and metal, every decade seems to have its rebel. There’s always that one band or frontman that completely changes the face of rock. Elvis Presley got the ball rolling in the 1950s, when rock n’ roll was new, until “Heartbreak Hotel” closed down. Then in the 60s, we had The Doors, and Jim Morrison led us on a dark poetic journey down the rock n’ roll highway. From there, we “broke on through to the other side,” “slept all night in the Soul Kitchen,” and when we woke up, Jim Morrison had died, the Summer of Love had ended, and as we entered the 70s, disco took over.

What the 70s didn’t see coming was Alice Cooper. With his vaudeville style, grease paint makeup and spooky stage shows, Alice Cooper “welcomed us to his nightmare” and became an instantly recognizable icon! The rumors that swirled about his concert performances, turned to legends with people constantly wondering what really happens at his shows. There were plenty of theatrics that went into Cooper’s shows, and that made it not just a mere concert, but a full blown rock n’ roll experience!

In the 1980s, we had a slew of great rock and metal bands, but there are three that stand out in my mind who were most noted for their mischief and mayhem: We had demonic themed, thrash band Slayer, whose speed metal riffs and lyrics dripping with satanic suggestions, was a headbanger’s dream (or night terror, if you prefer)! Then there was Motley Crue, who combined elements of glam rock and shock rock, both in look and sound. The Crue lived the archetypal rock n’ roll lifestyle, complete with sex, drugs and all around debauchery. Then came slightly more mainstream, but always unpredictable Guns N’ Roses. After the 80s had their heyday though, what more was left to create in terms of a provocative, villainous rock n’ roll image?

Enter, Marilyn Manson! The 90s era brought us grunge bands like Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains and Nirvana, but Marilyn Manson was in a class all his own. He spoke to the confused, lonely and angry teenage youth of both Generations X and Y. He was an absolutely terrifying nightmare to conservative parents and politicians of the Baby Boomer Era everywhere! He’s gotten arrested before for his onstage antics, and has even been banned from performing in certain countries. Time and again he’s been a scapegoat for the world’s ills and evils, and most Christians like to attack him. Not because he shunned religion, but because he questioned it, and he challenged his fans to question everything they were ever taught. Even now, he still remains a prevalent force in the world of rock n’ roll. He hasn’t faltered in terms of creating new music. Every few years, he puts out a new album—something us Mansonites (as some of us like to call ourselves), await with baited breath!

So what is it about Marilyn Manson that compels us? Of course initially, it starts with his look; the makeup and his clothes. If you love Halloween and the stuff of nightmares, Marilyn Manson will definitely intrigue you! His music has always been loved or loathed due to its shock value, and the fact that he’s willing to sing about contentious subjects, never failing to use profanity appropriately, when the message of the song calls for it. Music and aesthetics aside, he’s also incredibly intelligent, very articulate, and has had his watercolor paintings featured in prominent museums!

So without further ado, here is a list of my eight favorite Marilyn Manson albums:

1. "Antichrist Superstar" (1996)

Marilyn Manson made history, with his controversial, game-changing album, that is still a favorite among Manson fans everywhere. There had never been anything quite like Manson’s "Antichrist Superstar" before, and with Trent Reznor of Nine Inch Nails producing it, it was bound to be something special! With its gritty, at times industrial, sound and messages challenging faith/religion, and social norms and structures, it was really what put Marilyn Manson on the map, as far as being the next big rock band to watch! The hit song “The Beautiful People,” with its honest message about superficiality, entitlement and ostracism, along with the eerie, can’t-look-away music video, was a song for not just a generation, but for the ages!

2. "Mechanical Animals" (1998)

With its futuristic sound, and the concept of an alien (Omega) observing and examining the norms of our planet and our culture’s expectations, "Mechanical Animals" is one of the most brilliant and beautiful sounding of all Manson’s albums. A true masterpiece, it has a very clean, almost sterile sound, as if to mirror our plastic, beauty obsessed, overly medicated, drug induced culture. This album is a little more glam rock, but takes on a complete life of its own. Manson has said he’s been very inspired by the late, great David Bowie, and I feel like this was his homage to “Ziggy Stardust.”

3. "Holy Wood (In the Shadow of the Valley of Death)" (2000)

This is definitely a more underrated album of Manson’s but it was influential nonetheless. With hits like “The Love Song,” “The Fight Song,” “Disposable Teens” and “The Nobodies” speaking to teenage angst, there’s definitely power and substance behind these songs. I love the dirty, dark sound of this album. It’s very gothic and haunting, like a house you wouldn’t dare enter…especially not while listening to my personal favorite, “Count to Six and Die!”

4. "The Golden Age of Grotesque" (2003)

This album is deliciously decadent, even garish at times, but with its mixture of techno sounds, deep base-lines and industrial roots, it’s a metal sound quite unlike anything else you’ll ever hear. The cover of “Tainted Love” is definitely a hit favorite, but I’m partial to “This is the New Shit” and “(S)ain’t.” The Golden Age of Grotesque, simply put, is pure excess!

5. "Eat Me, Drink Me" (2007)

This odd album title was inspired by the famous phrases on the bottle and cookie in “Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland.” Themes of dark fairy tales, mixed with sensual, almost Shakespearian-style romance, are central to the sound and feel of this album. This was the very first album of Manson’s that I ever listened to, and to this day for me, I feel it best displays his vocal abilities on a more melodic scale. Guitarist/bassist Tim Skold’s guitar solos are sheer perfection, and absolutely gorgeous to listen to! If you love more of a romantic, theatrical flair, then you’ll love this album!

6. "The High End of Low" (2009)

After taking a break from each other, Marilyn Manson and guitarist/bassist Twiggy Ramirez finally reunited after nearly 10 years to create this album. "The High End of Low" contains a mixture of messages. Causing an uproar and making political statements is something Manson does best, and you can bet this album isn’t getting off with just a warning! In his song “We’re from America,” he sings the lyric, “We speak ‘American.’” I love what an awesome view that is of our current society, if not a little satirical. "The High End of Low" also takes a stab at heartbreak, the pain it causes and the pain we sometimes wish we could inflict on the ones who’ve hurt us. Along with that, is the always appealing danger factor to accompany liberally sprinkled elements of lascivious sins!

7. "Born Villain" (2012)

This album has always been a bit of a mystery to me. It possesses an entirely different sound than Manson’s past work, sounding very raw, like he’s fighting tooth and nail with himself. Almost feels like a bio of his life, and how he views himself. Manson teamed up yet again, with the iconic Twiggy Ramirez for this edgy, industrial album. In my opinion, "Born Villain" is the self-portrait of Manson’s albums. It’s like he’s looking in a mirror, and singing about the soul he saw within. This might be a little hard to do though, considering this album’s single clearly states, he has “No Reflection.”

8. "The Pale Emperor" (2015)

Get ready for a whole new sound people, because Manson recruited one of the best names in modern music today: guitarist and film score composer Tyler Bates! "The Pale Emperor" has a bluesy rock sound to it, all the while remaining pure Manson. In fact, maybe purer, as several of the tracks were not edited! This album is the embodiment of life in LA; dangerous, mysterious, intriguing and always unexpected! Manson has definitely hit his stride with this heavy hitting album, that comes with both hard rock tracks that will pummel their way into your heart (if you still have one), and a few more subdued tracks that just ooze forceful, carnal ambiance! This album is essential to any Manson fan’s collection!

Needless to say, Marilyn Manson is a true artist. His messages are meant to inspire, not harm and not be carried out in a literal manner. Music gets people through some of their darkest days. Manson is there to remind you to take a shitty moment, and create something better! Don’t be afraid to take a stand and say what you really feel! We know Marilyn Manson wasn’t. He’s a “Mephistopheles” of the modern era, and his music continues to resonate, reminding us that we are never alone, and that it’s always better to question your situation, than to follow blindly and trust in the system. Be your own person, stay true to your convictions, but find them for yourself, not because someone told you how to think. Embrace yourself for who you are, exactly as you are, but don’t be afraid of change or to change if it’s right for you! Marilyn Manson’s image consistently evolved, but his main ideas and ideals remain true.

Big thanks to The Marilyn Manson Cult, on Facebook, where I obtained my awesome cover photo/article photos! Shout-out to my “Manson Family” in the Cult! You guys are awesome!