Top 10 Musicals To Watch Now

Top 10 Musicals To Watch Now

Let your theater flag wave!

36
Top 10 Musicals To Watch Now
Sutton Foster

Since I am a musical theater junkie, I wanted to share my all-time favorite Broadway musicals and why I love them so much. It was really difficult to pick my top 10 since I love so many, but I managed to do it. Counting down from 10, here they are.

10. "Anything Goes"

This was the very first musical I did in high school and I immediately fell in love with it. The music, the storyline, the set -- everything about this show, I loved. Whether you're Team Patti or Team Sutton, I think everybody can agree about why this show is so awesome: the tap dancing. Yes, there are other Broadway shows that use tap dancing, but this show uses it like I have never seen before. The show is a bit raunchy, so I would not recommend it for younger children, but it will leave you with a smile on your face.

9. "The Lion King"

It's a Disney classic that just so happens to also be a musical. The first time I saw the musical version, I was 5 years old. I remember sitting there being in complete awe. Everything was so perfect. The costumes, the actors and actresses, the music, the set -- it was spectacular. They literally use these huge puppets to create all of these jungle animals, well, at least they seemed huge when I was five. It was exactly like the movie, but even more perfect, if that is even possible. Parents, please take your kids to this show because I think they will fall in love with it just like I did.

8. "The Sound Of Music"

Okay, how can somebody not love this musical? That's really all I have to say about this one. If you haven't seen this musical, where exactly have you been for the past 57 years? This musical is so good, they decided it needed a movie. Richard Rodgers and Oscar Hammerstein II, you did well.

7. "Shrek the Musical"

Another Sutton Foster musical. This musical, though, is the polar opposite of anything Sutton has ever done. Shrek, if you haven't seen the movies or the musical, is about social outcast Shrek. Left by his parents at age seven, Shrek grows up living in a swamp, well, sort of, until Lord Farquaad takes over. This show is full of laughs and cries and sometimes even farts. Yes, farts, and what kid doesn't love farts? Did I mention there is burping too? There's a whole song about burping and farting. If you love the sounds your body makes, this show is right up your alley.

6. "The Addams Family"

They're creepy and they're kooky, mysterious and spooky. They are The Addams Family. The scariest, strangest and funniest family in America. In this adaptation, little Wednesday is all grown up and dating, dare I say it, a normal boy! This is one of the funniest musicals I have ever seen. When I saw it for the first time, it was being put on by high-school-aged students and it was phenomenal. Another show I would recommend taking older kids to instead of little ones since it can get a tad dirty at times. Overall, it is great. When you leave that theater, you'll be humming the songs for the next two weeks. Go see it if you dare. Don't say that I didn't warn you.

5. "Grease"

"Grease" is another classic that I truly adore. I grew up singing and dancing along to the music. I wanted to be just like Sandy when I was little. I even had my own Sandy doll that I played with almost every day. "Grease" is such a loved musical that it became a movie and a live musical event that Fox TV put on earlier this year. People loved the movie and the musical so much that Disney decided to create a movie musical almost exactly like it. Yep, "High School Musical" was based off of Grease. Boy meets girl during a family vacation, boy and girl start to like each other during said family vacation but know that they must leave each other and never see one another again, girl surprises boy by showing up at school the following week and the rest is history.

4. "The Wizard of Oz"

Yeah, yeah it's pretty basic but it happens to be one of my favorites. When I first saw this movie-musical, I knew I had fallen in love with musical theater. Everything was just so magical. From the actors and actresses to the set and costumes -- after I had seen this musical, I was in love. So in love that I was Dorthy Gale for Halloween as a freshman in high school. I even bought the ruby red slippers that the store sold to go with my perfect costume.

Speaking of basic musicals, here is number 3!

3. "Wicked"

In this prequel, we learn more about the witches of Oz, Galinda and Elphaba. If you have seen the "Wizard of Oz," and I am sure you have, you know that Galinda is the sweet, peppy, fun witch who adores the color pink and Elphaba is the shy, outcast witch who hates Galinda and the color pink. There are zero words to describe how good this Broadway musical is. This show has been performing on Broadway for 13 years and shows no signs of stopping. On the show's website, it suggests that kids 8 years old and older will enjoy this show more than the younger ones. It also states that no children under the age of five will be permitted into the theater. Make sure you check all of the official rules before you plan your next trip.

2. "Les Miserables"

Do you hear the people sing? I sure do! "Les Miserables," or Les Mis for short, has been around since Victor Hugo wrote the monster-sized book all the way back in 1862! I love this musical because of the message it sends and of course the music. Seriously, though, my dream role is Eponine. "On My Own," explains my life to a T. I have never actually seen this musical on Broadway, but I am sure it was amazing. Also, my gender-reversed dream role is Javert, so that pretty much means that I am destined to be in this show. Les Mis is so popular that producers decided it needed a movie. On December 25, 2012, "Les Miserables" the movie was born. The movie starred Hugh Jackman, Russel Crowe, Anne Hathaway, Amanda Seyfred and many more awesome Hollywood actors. Let's just say it was a star-studded cast.

Now it is time to reveal my all time favorite Broadway musical. I don't think you are ready for this but I am going to reveal what it is anyway. So without further ado, my all-time favorite musical.

1. "HAIRSPRAY!!!!!!!!!"

Of course, this is my favorite. Hairspray is a voice for all the plus size girls in the world to never give up on your dreams and to change the world. Tracy Turnblad is my ultimate dream role and I was fortunate enough to get to play her the summer before my senior year. I will be honest here, I fell in love with the movie before I fell in love with the musical. The message it sends to everyone is so powerful and inspiring and that is the main reason why I love it so much. I also had the opportunity to audition in New York City for NBC's rendition of Hairspray Live! It was one of the most humbling experiences of my entire life. Hairspray and Tracy have my heart and there is no other musical that will ever replace it.