My Interview With Actor, Jake Boyd | The Odyssey Online

My Interview With Actor, Jake Boyd

I met Jake Boyd over the summer when he was a part of the traveling cast of Wicked and this past week I was fortunate enough to interview him.

167
My Interview With Actor, Jake Boyd
Instagram

I was born and raised in Birmingham, Alabama and where I come from, most people are studying to become nurses or engineers or lawyers. I think I can count the number of people from my graduating class who are studying something art/music/theater related on one hand, including myself. I’ve known for about a year now that I’ve wanted to do live sound, but didn’t know for sure until this past summer that I wanted to work in the theater. I went and saw Wicked and met the actors after the show. One actor I met was named Jake Boyd. He grew up about an hour from where I did. I have been so inspired by him since the opening night of Wicked, and I was fortunate enough to contact him and ask for an interview, and he was kind enough to say yes.

Q: How long have you been acting? What was your first breakout role?

A: I have been performing since I was in 5th grade. I saw a local community theater show on a school field trip and caught the acting bug immediately. And haven't stopped doing it since. As far as breakout roles, I suppose it depends on what time of my life you're asking about. Every opportunity I've ever had from community to professional has felt more exciting than the last. But, most recently, performing in Wicked was an actual dream come true.

Q: Was Wickedyour first touring role? What was your favorite part of the tour?

A: Wicked was my second touring show. Right out of college I did a non-union tour of the musical Oklahoma! playing Will Parker. But Wicked was an entirely different beast. My favorite part about tour was getting to bring it to fresh audiences in every city. It keeps it alive, or it did for me. Also, I'm a travel fan so it was the best opportunity for me.

Q: How did you like being on the road?

A: There are pros and cons to working on the road, absolutely. It's an amazing opportunity to be a part of but being away from home/family/friends can be difficult at times.

Q: What has been your favorite / least favorite role?

A: I honestly don't know if I have ever played a role that I truly disliked, luckily. But one of my favorite jobs was working on Be More Chill. It was a great show, a great group of people, and overall just the most fun I've had working on a new show.

Q: What do you do outside of acting/performing?

A: Like I said I love traveling. Even if it's traveling around New York and exploring my neighborhood. I spend a lot of time with friends and keeping a healthy balance between work and life.

Q: Where has been your favorite/the coolest place that you’ve performed?

A: Performing at the Fox Theater in St. Louis was stunning. An amazing theater house. Also getting to perform at the BJCC (Birmingham-Jefferson Convention Complex) was an experience I'll always remember since that was my home. It felt very full-circle.

Q: Where did you grow up and what was it like?

A: I grew up in Tuscaloosa, Alabama which may (or may not) be very similar to your background. But definitely a suburban with all your normal things. But Tuscaloosa has a strong population of artists which has always been my favorite part about it.

Q: Do you ever miss home? What about it?

A: I definitely miss home sometimes. It's all my family and my loved one

Q: When did you decide you wanted to move to New York? How long have you lived there?

A: I decided I was moving to New York the moment I fell in love with theater. I always knew I would be here, it wasn't a question. So when I graduated college and moved no on was surprised. I've been living here now for 7 years and I can't believe how quickly the time has flown.

Q: What college did you attend and what did you study?

A: I went to the University of Alabama as a theater major with a focus in musical theater.

Q: What’s next for you?

A: I got a couple of things in the oven but currently I'm waiting to see if they will blossom into a beautiful quiche or concave on itself. (lol). And always in the throes of auditions.

I am extremely grateful to Jake for this interview. It means a lot to me that he allowed me to do this. Seeing someone from home who has had so much success inspires me to keep going on the path that I am. New York City is my goal and I know that I can get there.