Where Music Highway Begins | The Odyssey Online

Where Music Highway Begins

What path you take in life decides a lot; sometimes, you need some other way out.

11
Where Music Highway Begins
wyckoffps.org

Music can be helpful just as much as it can be hurtful. Some music can be used to filter through the emotional turmoil that someone is suffering through. It all depends on the person, and how they interpret the music. Music can be something that relieves stress or cause it; it all depends on the person that is listening to it. If the lyrics speak to them or activate an emotion in some way, then the person will come back to the song when the same emotion or situation is needed. If they need a way to express themselves, music is often the first one they fall to.

The Music I Hear

I generally listen to all genre of music, because the thing that drives me to like a song is the lyrics. I suffer from depression and anxiety, so sometimes music is the only way for me to filter through which feelings are real and which ones are triggered. I use the lyrics to focus my thoughts and figure out how my emotions react, so that I can manage what my emotions are. When I don't have a reason to feel anxious or depressed, I pick songs that fuel that emotion so I can get it out of my system.

What It Can Do

Some music is painful to listen to and only worsens the situation, but some can help funnel a negative emotion. When you funnel that emotion into something else, it usually becomes a positive one because your mind finds it hard to remain negative. Lyrics in music, or sometimes just the beat, is all it takes for you to get your mind away from the trouble. By funneling the emotion into something else, like music, you take your mind away from all the worry that had been haunting you.

Like with anything, too much of one type of music or lyric can become useless; eventually, your mind either will always connect it to that negative thought or it will just no help at all because you are so used to it. So, it's always good to have a full playlist of songs, hundreds of them; so you rarely hear the same song twice in one sitting. The lyrics and the beat help you focus your attention on something else.

Music: Your Own Path

Everyone has their ways of dealing with their issues and problems. Music is just one of many, but it is one that many people can relate to. Over time, lyrics and styles have changed, but the purpose of music stays the same. To generate emotion in people, to get a reaction out of them. Either good or bad, music in it's own way can help or hurt the world.

Your path may be one that is painful to watch, one that is painful to walk; finding a way to channel that may just help you. Find songs that fit your personality, your mood; find songs that help you focus or can break your concentration when you're stressed. The point of music is you can choose it; you can choose the path to follow.