What Listening to Every Music Genre Says About You | The Odyssey Online

What Listening to Every Music Genre Says About You

The hardest question you could ever be asked: "What kind of music do you listen to?"

880
Indie Movie Store

You might think you have yourself confused if your playlist is all over the place. When people are asked, "what kind of music do you listen to?" and they answer like they have their whole life figured out, it makes you feel like a mess. That's a question that would take you hours to answer.

But the truth is, it doesn't mean you're complicated or anything close to that. In fact, you're actually pretty cool. My playlist ranges from 4 Non Blondes to Macklemore to Weezer to Kygo and basically everything in between -- and I wouldn't have it any other way. If you can relate, you'll probably find these traits to be pretty fitting when you think about it.

1. You have the ability to switch from listening to The 1975 to Odesza and then to Blink-182.

You love finding new music just as much as you love meeting new people, going new places, and trying new things. You’re all about getting out of your comfort zone and expanding your horizons. The more you can learn from those around you, the better, just like the more songs in your playlist, the better, right? You’re a person who has an undying love for knowledge.

2. You appreciate the "little things" in life.

You might think it’s strange that you can go from listening to some EDM to 90s alternative rock, but it might be more logical than you think. In some songs, you pay more attention to the beat of the music, while relating to the lyrics more in others. Whatever the case, there’s something that you love about each of your favorite songs. You have the ability to pick out something positive in each song, much like you do in everyday situations. Every day might not be good, but there’s something good in every day.

3. You are free-spirited.

You don’t really mind what people have to say about the music you play in your car. It’s just your music. If people ask what kind of music you listen to, you might reply with, “The good stuff.” If it’s good, you like it -- you don’t care about all the rules. You are probably this way about many aspects of your life -- your hair, your clothes, basically everything. You’re just you.

4. You are balanced.

Too much of a good thing can be bad, right? Remember that rainy day you spent with the curtains closed, hot chocolate, and The Head and The Heart? The only way to bounce back from days like that are long drives on sunshiny days with some uplifting tunes from Grouplove. Having balance is the only way to a healthy life for you. You have your perfect amounts of everything in life -- social activities vs. alone time, days of eating salads and smoothies vs. doughnuts and soda.

5. You are smart.

With all those lyrics in your head to those hundreds of songs on your phone, you’ve got to have a mad vocabulary. You probably even won the fifth grade spelling bee. You’re also great at understanding meanings of songs and are analyzing songs in your head without even thinking about it. You’re not only good at understanding song lyrics, but you also tend to analyze daily interactions…maybe even overanalyze them.

6. You may be a little moody.

Sometimes your mood depicts what kind of music you listen to, and sometimes the music you listen to depicts your mood. We all know the way Drake can make us feel like we’ve been through a breakup, too. The music you listen to, the people you surround yourself with, the weather and how your day at work went all have some kind of impact on your mood. Sometimes it doesn’t turn out for the best, but that’s just who you are.

7. You like change.

How boring would it be if you listened to the same kind of music all the time? You’re constantly looking for new artists to add to your playlist. You’re the type of person who’s constantly changing your favorite band and style of clothes and hair and is often dreaming about being elsewhere. You get antsy when you find yourself in a routine. You don’t just like change, you prefer change.

I’m not saying you’re an awful person if you prefer to stick to your favorite genre of music. I used to envy people that knew exactly who they were. I’m just saying, if you’re kind of all over the place, that’s cool, too. There’s a certain kind of appreciation in being able to listen to Bob Marley one minute and belting out the Biebs the next.