The Art Of Moving On | The Odyssey Online

The Art Of Moving On

Moving on is hard, here's what you should expect.

1016
The Art Of Moving On
The Brain In Jane

Moving on seems impossible at first. One may feel like they will never get over their relationship. This article is for everyone out there who doesn't think they will move on. I assure you, that's part of the process.

1. Denial.

For the first week or two, you deny that the relationship is actually over. You send your ex texts and try to talk things out. You believe this is just a fight or a break and you will be back together in no time.

2. Realization and a Deep Sadness.

Soon enough, you realize that this relationship is over. You can barely get out of bed in the morning for fear of running into your ex. You spend a lot of time crying and avoiding going out. If you're like me, you buy a lot of cookie dough, Oreos, gingerbread houses(just to eat), and frosting. You feel like an idiot for crying and for being so sad that this relationship is over when it is clear that the other person is not upset. Try to avoid this thought as best you can. It is totally normal to feel sad and like something is missing.

3. Filling the Hole.

There will come a time where you will run out of tears. As much as you want to, crying is impossible. However, there is still a hole in your heart. There is something missing from your life that you feel the need to fill. There are so many ways that people do this. Some destructive like drugs, sex, and excessive partying. These fill the hole temporarily and make you forget why you're sad for a night. Try not to fall in the trap. Instead, use methods like: spending time with friends and family, going outside and getting active, or finding a new hobby that you really enjoy like coloring. It's important to note that nothing will fill this hole forever, there will always be some sadness until the moving on process is over.

4. Finding Yourself.

My favorite part of moving on is seeing how I have grown through the process of moving on and how my self-image has changed. Though the last 3 steps, you can be single and happy. You don't need someone else. This is the most satisfying part of the process. You will most likely still feel some sadness or emptiness, but for the most part, you will be happy with yourself.

5. Getting Back Out There.

This is potentially the most important and most difficult part of moving on. You will still be holding on to your past and holding out hope that your ex will return. Don't let these thoughts hold you back, odds are your ex has moved on. It's time for you to start going out on dates. Don't excessively look for people to see, but take your time and enjoy the company of others.

6. Officially Moving On.

When you realize that your life continues without your ex, your heart will feel more full. When you "officially" move on is very relative. For me, it was after I began a new relationship with someone who treats me better and values me. Seeing how I should be treated has made me realize I deserve more than what I had been given. I hope that each person moving on realizes this too.