I Moved Across The Country To New Mexico And Found My Greatest Friend | The Odyssey Online

I Moved Across The Country To New Mexico And Found My Greatest Friend

I never knew a causal conversation with my new coworker would lead to a wonderfully chaotic friendship that I have grown to cherish dearly.

269
Chelsea Rhoades

I was asked in March of 2013 if I wanted to move to New Mexico with my then-girlfriend and her family, including her grandmother, mother and younger sister. She was not thrilled that her parents were getting a divorce, but I jumped at the opportunity to travel. I told her what everyone kept telling me, "You can always come home, but when will you ever get this offer again?" We finally committed, and once the divorce was finalized, we left.

It was the end of July, and my going away party was on the last Sunday of the month. I remember this night very clearly, considering it was one of the only times in my life that I successfully got drunk in public and had fun. Alcohol and my body do not mix well, yet it was my job was to sell it to people. I had roughly 20 people that I consider family get together and just have a good time. I lived in a small town in North Georgia, and I worked at the only sports bar. I met a ton of wonderful people the two years I was there, and it was not easy saying goodbye to all of them.

We packed the Uhaul, and on the very last day of July, we were on our way. I was scared because I was leaving behind the most. But I knew that there was a bigger purpose for me taking this leap of faith. The journey out there was absolutely miserable for me, and I practically cried for three-quarters of the drive.

It took us almost 36 hours to arrive in Grants, New Mexico to find out that we didn't even have our own house. We would be sharing with a lady who had three kids. I'll spare you all those details and make it short. I went into survival mode, and within three days of stepping foot in this state, I had found us a place in Albuquerque, New Mexico. I'd say a week later, I snagged a great job at a modern fine dining restaurant called Zinc Wine Bar & Bistro right in the heart of the city.

Interview Outfit

The first day on the job, I was pumped. I had only ever worked in the food industry, but I never got the chance to work in fine dining. Shortly after starting there, I had a casual conversation with a guy named Brandon, and I never knew it was going to lead into a wonderfully chaotic friendship which I now cherish dearly.

A few months after working there and becoming friends with Brandon, I decided to move out on my girlfriend and find a place with him. We found a gem in the rough and signed a one year lease. Zinc had an open kitchen, meaning you can see the cooks prepare your meal, and I was learning how to cook by just watching them. But the best part was I lived with one of the line cooks, so I got my own personal teacher.

We had discussed getting a puppy briefly, and two months after moving into our new place, I surprised Brandon with a sweet little fluff ball. We would raise her together until we parted ways, but I made it very clear that she goes with me. He has full visitation rights for life though, so we mutually named her Mary Jane.

I did more walking that year than you can imagine, but you see the world very differently than just driving by it in a car. Brandon and I became instant friends, but we found out quickly living together wasn't that easy; especially since we added a puppy. Towards the middle of our lease, we started fighting pretty bad, and we both were unhappy. I decided at the end of the lease, I was moving out, and I was moving back in with my ex-girlfriend in Grants, New Mexico an hour west of Albuquerque. He was not happy about this at all, and the last few months were vicious.

I knew moving out was the only way to ensure our friendship would not be ruined by some petty nonsense, and it worked. I would take day trips to the city and go visit him. He kept Mary Jane for a month while I went and visited Georgia to see my grandmother. When I got back, I picked them both up and said farewell to my closest friend for two years.

In June of 2015, Brandon moved to Olympia, Washington, and I was left homesick. I had just spent a month with my family and friends, and now I wanted to go home. I felt like there was nothing left for me here in New Mexico, and within a week of him leaving, I had a friend buy me a plane ticket back to Jasper, Georgia for good.

I was now 2,664 miles away from him, and I was nervous that our friendship would not withstand the distance. But I was so wrong, we talk on the phone at the minimum two hours a week, and sometimes more. It all just kind of depends on our schedules, and there is a three hour time difference.

We often joked about him coming out here and what we would do. Well, almost three years later, it finally happened, and last month Brandon came to Georgia to visit me for four days. I was so nervous when I got to the airport and was waiting for him. I only knew him a few months before moving in with him, then we lived together for a year. Now for the past three years have been pen pals, and he's actually coming to see me. The weirdness wore off quickly, and it was like we picked up where we left off.

It's funny how life gives and takes people from your life. I am eternally grateful for that one rash decision I made five years ago to move across the country because Brandon is such a true and loyal friend. It is an odd connection we have, but it is strong.

I felt bad because he came out here at a crazy point in my life, but it happened for a reason. I swear God knew I needed him here those exact days to help me through that patch, and he got to see a part of my life not many have in full force. I also got to show him the side of Atlanta that people make movies about so I know he enjoyed his stay even though he rated his room service an eighth of a star.

I know our friendship is for life, and he will always be there for me. It is hard nowadays to find someone that you can trust with your life. Most people are to close minded to even let that person in because of their premature judgments.

I didn't realize how much I missed him until I dropped him off at the airport, and I drove away in tears. I tried to contain myself, but I was genuinely saddened that I knew I wasn't going to see him for awhile. I had such a great time with him and it confirmed why we became friends in the first place.

Maybe one day we will live closer to each other, but it doesn't matter because you are my forever friend.

Thank you for being so weird. I miss you often.